Monday 25 October 2010

Comments (Culture shock)

http://uwb2m-s.blogspot.com/2010/10/v-behaviorurldefaultvml-o.html#comments

1. Do you know other examples for culture shock from other countries?
Yes, I do. I think that showing emotions can make troubles in communication. When I came to France as a teenager I was surprised that my French colleagues were kissing each other so frequently. I was wondering if they have so big families or so many very close friends, while in fact it was a typical behavior. I had another "kissing problem" in Tunisia, where many people wanted to kiss my children. In Europe nobody dares to come and kiss strange kids.
2. Do you know which Polish good manners are not good in other countries?
I'm afraid I don't remember any that could be found rude in other cultures... Especially, I'm not sure if I know any good manners which are purely Polish. I think that at least most of them are common in Europe.
3. Do you know some gestures which meaning is different in other country?
There are so many good examples in this presentation - I don't think I know anything more.
4. Do you know any movie which is about culture shock?
There must be something... Perhaps "Babel" of Inarritu, but culture differences are not very funny in this picture. Disney's "Pocahontas" can be a perfect example too.

6 comments:

  1. 1. I can find some examples for culture differences in United Emirates. I have read in "Gulf News" that English couple was arrested because they were caught kissing public on the beach in Dubai... I have also heard that drinking watter in public is forbidden during Ramadan even for non-Islamic tourists and it could cost 1000 AED, what is about 300$!!!
    2. Kissing ladies in their hand is not welcome abroad, especially in western Europe countries.
    3. I can't fine more examples.
    4. Have you seen "Desert flower"? This movie present very drastic "culture shock"!!! It's really a good film. If you have a chance, I recommend to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Last Samurai is about culture shock. In some countries handshakes aren't used, in others men are kissing each other to welcome each other. Islamic religion forbids drinking alcohol and eating pork meat. In Singapore chewing gums are not allowed. Etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a lot of examples of culture shock but I’m afraid all of them were mentioned in this article. Nowadays I don’t think there are observable differences between good manners around the world, especially in European cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there are many examples, what mostly amazes me is the behavior of women in Africa, who like to put "ornaments," of the sizes of a plates in their mouth or who are overlapping their necks with rims that showshow old they are. I doubt whether in Poland, someone would have thought at all about doing something that crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.Yes, I do. In general we do not think too much about the culture we are raised in. I think that when we are going to another country, we should be prepared for culture shock. We should try to get informations about that country, about people and their culture. I think that the Netherlands could be a good example. In that country, one of the most important means of transport is bicycle. Everywhere there are bicycle lanes. In Poland that kind of transport is not popular, so if anybody is going to visit the Netherlands, should take it into consideration.
    2.I have heard that in Germany, there is no custom to take off shoes by invited guests. They would do that, if you ask them for that.
    3.I haven’t heard about any other examples.
    4.I think that “My big fat greek wedding” can be a good example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Do you know other examples for culture shock from other countries?

    Hm...You write about some specific sitiuatuins but I think culture shock is written in our behaviour. For example... Polish people are not as open and happy like Italians. Some may say that it's not true but I think there are such big differences and we should take it for granted.

    2. Do you know which Polish good manners are not good in other countries?

    I don;t know and I do not care. To be honest , for me, if you are polite, even if You make a mistake everybody will understand it. :)

    3. Do you know some gestures which meaning is different in other country?

    I don;t know.

    4. Do you know any movie which is about culture shock?
    I think that the best exapmle of such film is the last samurai.

    ReplyDelete