Thursday 28 October 2010

The movie mistakes...

Part I - movie mistakes.


Nearly every move contains some mistakes.

How to capture them? You have to be patient and have careful eye.

Why do such movie mistakes occur? Quite often the answer lies in the high pressure world of commercial film making. Directors generally work

under tight budget and time restraints, and re-shooting scenes can be a logistical

nightmare. If an occasional movie slip-up manages to sneak into the final cut of a film, it may be best to leave it in rather than arrange for an expensive re-shoot or other post-production fix.

Some movie mistakes are caused by

the standard practice of shooting out of sequence. Very few movies are filmed in a linear progression according to the script. The producers may only have access to a particular location for a short amount of time, so the director and actors must shoot all

of the scenes based at that location at one time,

regardless of where the scenes fit in the overall narrative. This leads to continuity errors, such as having a dirty costume suddenly appear clean again. Shooting out of sequence can also lead to inconsistencies in an actor's appearance or use of certain props.

Continuity problems in movies can also be triggered by the long process of lighting, arranging and filming a set. During a dinner scene, for

example, the actors may first perform the "master shot," a wide shot of the entire dinner table with all actors eating and speaking. For close-ups of individual actors or smaller groupings, the entire

set may be completely re-arranged and re-lit. It is nearly impossible to keep track of every single movement of every single actor during several days of filming, so the resulting scene in the film could have any number of mistakes, as silverware changes position or food disappears and reappears at random.

Other movie mistakes are the result of factual errors or anachronisms. If a movie is set in a particular time period, such as the 1920s, it is up to the set designers and others to make sure all props and backgrounds are historically accurate.

Sometimes cast or crew members create movie mistakes by stepping into the shot or allowing a piece of equipment to appear. Boom microphones are especially difficult to wrangle without dipping them into the frame so many modern cameras have built-in safety zones which prevent such accidental intrusions from microphones or crew members.

Big amount of mistakes inspired a group of people to create a web site http://www.moviemistakes.com contains many mistakes taken in movies, described step-by-step.











Questions:

1) Have you ever noticed some movie mistakes during the showing?

2) Do you know any polish movie mistakes (there are many of them...) ?

3) When you watching the movie, do you ever try to observe scene-by-scene just to find a new mistake?

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I don't focus on mistakes because when I want to watch some movie I don’t want to think about such stupid things, just watch it.
    2.Probably I do because I saw them on the internet or at TV but I'm not able to give you any examples.
    3.I never watch the movie scene-by-scene, because as I answered before I watch the movie to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Never :-) I'm too concentrated on the plot and magic of cinema do the rest. I observe the work of camera, lighting and montage, because it's connected with my work. Mistakes are invisible for me :-)
    2. There were many of them in "Pan Tadeusz". I remember one with unbuttoned dress, but I haven't noticed it myself. Someone showed me.
    3.I never do! That would spoil the movie. I believe there must be some "mistake-maniacs" who do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of finding movie mistakes, but sometimes it's just so obvious. I don't remember any exact scene of any movie, but it's more or less common thing. The worse thing is when a plot is full of mistakes or holes. Nonetheless it's fun to see when someone has a different dress in two different angles of camera, or something like that.

    I'm a fan of the story of "Krzyżacy" where in one version there was a truck and a some kind of pylon in the background of the battle. I've never seen that with my own eyes, but it sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. really nice job ;) I have to admitt you have chosen very interesting topic.

    there was a mistake in mission impossible in the scene with a car, I will try to find this on the web.

    I'm not type of a person which looks for mistakes in movies. I focus on the plot.

    I don't know any mistakes in polish movies. I watch them rarely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Watching a movie I do not try to find any bugs in it. Whai is more I usually do not watch a movie more than one time. If you watch a movie once it means you have less chanches in finding bugs.

    2. To be honest I do not watch Polish films, I do not like most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surpised that people actually watch movies scene by scene to find mistakes like actors changing clothes etc.

    Of course there are some obvious mistakes like women getting up in the morning with makeup on, jumping into the water and getting out dry in the next scene or people from the prehistoric/medieval ages with clear white teeth. Often I don't mind, they are little things that in my opinion do not impact greatly on reception of the film.

    Oh and usually I don't watch polish movies...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen mistakes when I watch a movie but it is interesting. The Polish films also sure there are mistakes but they do not know. I've never looked mistakes in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite mistakes are from the movie "Vabank". One of the most impressive is a trabant car from around 1957 covered with tarpaulin in the background while the movie is set in approximately 1930. Also they have problems with keeping watches at the correct time, for example during one scene the time on the watch changes several times. I recently read about about mistakes in the matrix movies. There are a lot of continuity mistakes and but I dont remember exactly what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never noticed any movie mistake. Acually i don;t like watching movies because I have a lot of work and watching them makes me feel unresponsible. :) I don;t know any polish movies mistakes and I don;t even care about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm don't take care of, mistakes during watching the films, becouse i'm focus on the story. I suposed yes but I' dont remember of any mistakes on the polish movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I can remind, in "Krzyżacy" some actors was wearing electronic watches, there were some trucks on the background and so on.
    While watching movies I am usually so concentrated on the plot that I do not realized any mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never catch any mistakes during watching the movie, but later I am happy to read about this. But analyzing the film scene by scene seems poitless to me. The most important are coclusions that result from the movie and our feelings about it. Everybody makes mistakes. Be forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. I could not find a movie mistake by myself jet, although I tried.

    2. No.

    3. No. I'm not interested so much in movie mistakes to lose time for searching them.

    ReplyDelete