Tuesday 14 December 2010

Research

INTRODUCTION


"The youth today ... when I was a young child used to ...." I am sure that you have heard similar statements many times. Thinking about this, I started to search for knowledge about what other people mean by "my times". In this way, I came across a website Nonsensopedia (Polish encyclopedia of humor), where we read:


My times is a period in world history, when everything was better. Times when men were real men, women, real women (...). Before the war, in every village was coal. "My times" can be pre-war period or anywhere, when we were young.


During the search we came across the rankings list of events and trends in popular culture from the past years. They included, among others "Top 30 of the 90s" and "Crazy years of 90s.". Intrigued by the past I decided to examine in an objective way possibly with scientific methods, distinct of the leisure time preferences, tastes, dreams and needs of young people born in the 90s and the generation growing up today. The examination covered the four groups of people: our peers born in the years 1983-1989, their parents, current primary school pupils and their parents.

Do you remember that song?

Dr Alban - It's My Life

With my schoolmates we had 86 meetings. With each person we made an interview and filled in a questionnaire. We analyzed the results , using software designed to analyze qualitative and quantitative data. As a result of our research we have developed a report showing the changes that have occurred over the past 15 years. I would like to present you the summary of the one part from our research.

Mr President - Coco Jambo


CHILDREN born in 90s
MULTIPLAYER GENERATION


"Multiplayer" is a word derived from the world of computer games in which multiple users simultaneously play. Our research shows that in the 90s most games had a group character. We realized that these games had only "sense" when a lot of kids participated in a competition. The media such as the Internet, television, newspapers - did not provide as large number of ideas on how to manage your free time. The children themselves invented games and looked for resources to implement them.











They had to use their own imagination to create something new. Let’s take for the example temporary mini-baseball field, which was made from the rocks found nearby the playground. It was sufficient only to have a ball and a baseball bat or a tennis ball, to occupy large group of boys and girls. This would not be possible without the other children- friendships determined social capital, which was needed to create a successful play. That's why we felt that the phrase " multiplayer generation " best describes the nature of past years.



  • If you could make a rating of the most popular things of the 90s what would it be?

  • How do you think – what are the leisure time preferences, tastes, dreams and needs of current primary school pupils?


Another feature of the 90s generation is the social capital which means to have friends ­- preferably a large circle. This follows from the fact that the finalization of an idea for a play could not be often done without the aid of others. Children with one another exchange their collected Printed Notes or the notebooks called “Golden thoughts”. These games were a form of establishing new social networks and / or entry into other groups. In the 90’s there was also a very popular game called “the cow”. If anyone ever wondered why at 4.15 p.m. the life in the yard disappeared, then we want to provide the answer – we should blame emitted at Polonia 1 cartoons such as Gigi La Trottola, Sally The Witch, Capitan Tsubasa, Tiger Mask Nisei or Sailor Moon.






We have to remember to say something about the console PEGASUS which gathered groups of children wanting to shoot with a gun to ducks, ride in tanks or play Mario, although the games were not explicitly provided for the possibility of playing in such a large group of people (usually they were for a single game player or two players).




Children had also many fun playing in “the house” building it from just a few blankets and the table. This state of affairs in our opinion, was a result of the times in which was then Poland.

The 90s were characterized by scarcity in objects games; however, examined people mention that they were very happy then . Forms of leisure activities are not just confined to the backyard playground. It was a period when the Polish economy was just opened to the world. As a result, the offer of products aimed at children was much smaller and less varied than what is available to kids today.

  • What were your favourite games when you were a child?
  • Do you think that multiplayer generation was more creative?

Also, the media played a much smaller role than today in shaping attitudes and beliefs of minors. Many respondents believe that the lack of wide range of toys forced their children to use imagination and creativity.

Toys on the market in the 90s had a significantly higher price than at present. However, the realization of children's dreams of those years required less money, due to a smaller selection of available toys / products. Children did not have much choice in what they would like to have. Most frequently cited toys were: bike, ball, Barbie doll and a computer.


HOT TOP five desired toys of 90s:

1. bike
2. football
3. Barbie
4. PC
5. tamagochi


In summary, children's games in past years required more creativity and had a group character. Children had significantly more free time to play. Most respondents from the generation growing up in the 90s recall their early youth with fondness because it was a carefree period of freedom, fun and time spent with friends.


  • Can You create the hot top five desired toys of current times?
  • How do You ting – are there any differences in lifestyle of these two generations?
  • If so - what are the reasons of it?

19 comments:

  1. I could not imagine preferences of current primary school pupils - they are a different planet for me ;) I think that now children have many more things that me, born in 80ties have ever dreamed of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what kind of things do they have? Do you know any gadget whixh you tjink is very popular nowadays?

    I think it may be PSP.It's console. When I was a child I used to play in tetris. I also had tamagochi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion the generation of '80 was more creative than children nowadays. We didn't have any electronic gadgets like iphone, playStation and so one and couln't play with such a colorful and variety toys. We had to create our own games and toys. Looking back I can see positive aspects of those time. Nowadays a lot of children in western countries are overweight and spend their almost all free time seating by computer instead of playing in the backyard...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing about 90's was that rap was something exceptional back then. I may sound like an old prick, but almost nothing sounds that great nowadays. Of course, there's much more great about those years, but for me nothing is worth as much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a tamagotchi and the immortal NES console with dozens of games like Castelvania, Contra etc.

    I don't know if the younger generation is more creative, it's hard to generalize. One thing is sure: they have more tools to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that 90’s were the best times to grow up. Of course I know the songs you’re talking about, to me they’re amazing;) I used to play on Nintendo Entertainment System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System), mainly it was Mario but sometimes other games. I got it from my parents at the beginning of 90’s, when we were in US and it was so cooool. About The best toys I’m not sure, but I think to me it would be obviously LEGO and Action Men!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember slap bracelets and rubber band for jumping over, I played it with my girlfriends during our brakes at school:) remember also drink called Frugo and chewing gum "Donald" with stickers inside.
    But what I liked the most was television serial "McGyver" I watched each episode and didn't miss any.)
    From games I remember Prehistoric or something like that I don't remember exact name. Anyway It was my first computer game and it was fun.. It wasn't so violent as games now are.
    90's music was also great. The most popular band was I think Nirvana but my favourite is Skunk Anansie they were great and they still are. Being a musicians was not so easy as now. Nowadays people don't have to even sing well to be a singer..
    I think the biggest diffrence between 90's and now is growing commercialization. And appart from that we don't have much time we're too busy. So when parents don't have much time for their kids, children have to organize their spare time by themselves but now they don't have to use their imagination to create something because they can have whatever they want just like that by using internet for example.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that the generation of '80 was more creative ant active. There were no computers, phones and other electronics that can help and solve problems for them. There was even no internet! I still remember that times ! Now children do not read books, because all the summaries are now on the Internet. There are plenty of examples.
    When I was a kid there were no such solutions. Only then there was DOS, NT and some primitive but very playable computer games. I had a few favorite games such as Mario, Alladin, Dyna, and many others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the 90's technology wasn't that advanced so we had to be more creative that today's teenagers who have everything served on a plate, they don't even have to use their imagination that much playing video games since the graphics are so realistic today. To me the top gadget of the 90's is Amiga. I remember going to my friends with floppy discs and copying games. Those were the times. Today the magic seems to have gone - you can even play cards on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My childhood was in 80s. Of course there is a huge difference. I remember how much time we used to spend outside playing together and having some kind of social life. Now many kids are closed in their homes, they spend time watching TV and playing computer games. One reason can be an accessibility of these devices. Another may be style of bringing up children. Now parents feel like they should control their kids really strongly, they are afraid of the world outside.

    About creativity - it's hard to estimate, but I believe that TV and computer games are a bit creativity killers. Especially TV.

    Hot top 5 of the current times:
    1. console/PSP/gameboy
    2. everything concerned with Lego Star Wars
    3. gadgets connected with current famous Disney production, like "Cars", "Toy Story" and so on
    4. My Scene or Hello Kitty dolls and gadgets for girls
    5. I don't know...

    When I was a child I loved jumping over rubber laces and playing dolls with friends. I remember also writing "a book" together with my best-friend and making monster-dolls using some materials found at home. Oh, and playing witches making some kind of mixtures...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The most popular "things" in 90's were tamagotchi, pegasus Tv console and anime Dragon Ball in my opinion. Technology wasn't so advanced as is nowadays.

    Now primary school pupils are mostly interested in mobile phone, computer games and so on. This is fore sure more lazy generation that it was in 90's

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1)according my opinion the most popular toys of current times are:
    a)Barbie
    b)LEGO
    c)Tamagochi
    d)gameboy
    e)some things conected with popular films like ,,DUSK,, in polish- ZMIERZCH or Hannah Montana- this kind of things are popular especially within young girl.

    2)I think that there is some difference between children from generations of 80s and childran which lives nowadays.Firstly the children from past generations were more creative than now because children had to thinking themself without any help of many kind of computers program and another games which now replaced books.In the past generations chlidren spent more time with friends instead stay at home by computers game like chlidrens in this time.

    3)The most reason of differences between this two generations is in my opinnin the development of infrastructure and science which allowed to know another more interesiting way of spent free time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The most popular things of the 90s… I will rate:
    1) GameBoy and Pegasus – as equal. The most common gifts on the First Holy Communion.
    2) Mountain bike – everybody wanted to have them.
    3) G. I. Joe figures.
    4) Sweets: KuKuRuKu (chocolate wafer), Donald Duck (bubble gum), Raffles (the first curvy chips ever),
    5) Audio-tapes for tapes-recorders and Walkman’s.
    6) Walt Disney, Hanna-Barbera and Polonia1 channel cartoons.
    7) Bill Cosby Show, The A-Team, ER.

    Actually my childhood was rather 80s then 90s. There was a lot of fun. Everybody spend his time being outside, on the playground. On the fresh air, playing at War games - without any rules.
    Every little boy was running with a piece of stick as a gun, shouting “Nie żyjesz, nie żyjesz”, “A wcale że nie eee, bo dostałem tylko w ramię”. Unfortunately, those days are gone. There was a time of real social life, making good friendships and relation with others. Nowadays many children spend their time with babysitters, sitting at home and playing stupid computer games, watching TV and taking a big portion of brainless activities.

    What about creativity? In my opinion there would be no creativity if children were doing like this again and again.
    Now everything is closer then formerly. The world is created by virtual games and graphic programs and imagination became useless.

    I cannot say what was my favorite game when I was a child. Actually I have a few of them.
    Playground games: War, “Kwadraty” (kind of a football game for up to 4 person. There was a field divided by 4 parts and every player was responsible for one of them). Board games: “Magia i Miecz”, Monopoly. Puzzles – a specially those from Unicef.

    My list of hot top five of desired toys is:
    1) PlayStation, PSP, Xbox or Nintendo Wii.
    2) IPhone, IPad and other Apple Stuff…
    3) Bob the Builder and other famous cartoons toys
    4) Barbie doll with video camera installed.
    5) Motor-scooters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definition of "my times" is probably on of the best definitions I've ever heard. It hits the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I come from a small town and there childhood spent outdoors with my brothers and colleagues. I remember those days very well. But I clearly remember Turbo gum flavor and great pictures of cars in the middle. I think a lot of kids today, they lose their entire life is a computer and video games. Looking today at little kids I'm glad that when I was little I had friends and did not account on Facebook:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. The most popular things of the 90s are: bubble gum "Turbo" and "Donald", Tv program "Koło fortuny", "Dynsastia","5-10-15"...
    2. I Have no idea.
    3. My favorite game from childhood was "Contra"
    4. I think that multiplayer generation was a little bit more creative, kids were spending their time together, not like nowadays, when kids have so many options of spending free time, so many kinds of games

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can You create the hot top five desired toys of current times?

    Being a child, as far as I was concerned Lego was the best. I actually still think Lego is the best :) I haven't thrown my boxes away and now that you mentioned toys from the 90s, I need to dig them out. I remember desiring a Lego castle with a black dragon at the top of it. It's so awesome, that even nowadays it costs around EUR 200.

    How do You ting – are there any differences in lifestyle of these two generations?
    I think it's huge. When I was a kid, computers were these cool gadgets that did 10% of nowadays machines. On the other hand, having a computer was a luxury that not everybody could have afforded. I remember I started my journey with computers with Amiga I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a great time! I was a child then, and I didn't have any computer game or many trendy toys that other children had but still I remember those days with tenderness. The only thing i dodn't like about 90's is the music. It is really dreadful and tacky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. Furby(now I think that it was super creepy), My Little Ponies, G.I.Joe toys(blame two older brothers), Lego(esp sets with knights), Game Boy

    2. I think that kids used to have much more activities outside their homes. Also there was still a big difference between lifestyle here and - for example - in Western Europe.

    3. Internet, also big economical progress that Poland did in last few years thanks to EU.

    ReplyDelete