Sunday 17 April 2011

How much do you know your mind?





I would like to present you some details about how to cheat your brain. There are a lot of things over the Internet so my decision was to divide that presentation on two parts. Second part will be available soon at: http://pjwstk2ms.blogspot.com/. So if you want to see more please go there next week.

Have you ever think about what is the mind, how it works or in what traps can catch you?

Well, first thing first, mind is the aspect of intellect, the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.


As all we know, mind is situated in the brain…and let’s furthers…what is the brain?



Is it your intellectual
powe
r? Or maybe is the center of thought and understanding...answers are - all of it. But are you sure that you always see what you are look at? Is it real or not? Remember before you read this article - never trust your senses at all.

Read some examples how can you play with your brain.

Ganzfeld Procedure

The Ganzfeld procedure induces the visual hallucinations and sensory distortions. It is probably best known for its uses in parapsychology experiments. To do this test you need only three things:

-half ping-pong ballsolver

- a radio with headphones

- red light,

If you have it,you can start hacking your brain.

Step 1: Turn the radio to a station with just white noise (static), and put on your headphones.

Step 2: Cut the ping-pong ball in half and tape each half over your eyes.

Step 3: Turn the red light so it's facing your eyes.
Step 4: Sit there for at least a half an hour.

All of examinants said that had an interesting experience and the atmosphere and quality of their dreams was very, very unusual.

Some people see horses prancing in the clouds or hear the voice of a dead relative the others.

When we close eyes our brain automatically says "Ok...no need for focusing anymore," we must remember that the mind is used to the sensations, so that when there’s little to sense (that’s the purpose of ping pong balls and static) your brain ends up inventing its own.

Shrink your Pain

Have you ever been injured and took the painkillers? There is a simple method to make your pain decrease in its magnitude. The scientists from Oxford University discovered a new pain killer – inverted binoculars.

Only what you have to do is looking at your injury through a pair of binoculars that were either the right or wrong way round. When you see it magnified to double its size, your level of pain will increase, but when you look at the same place through inverted binoculars, you will see minimized image and your pain level will cut significantly.

Researches demonstrate that brain is the main point of modulating everything what we see. That’s why sometimes is better to look away.

Pinocchio illusion

What you need to do first is finding one friends with no hang-ups about his nose. A chair and blind fold is also necessary. Ask your friend to blindfold you while you’re sitting in the rear chair. When your friend sits in his/her chair in front of you place your left hand of your friend’s nose. Now, put your right hand on your own nose and at the same time, gently stroking both noses. After one minute more than 50% subjects have very wired feeling that their nose become longer and longer. That’s a Pinocchio illusion. The reason why it’s happened is because vision isn’t involved.

Your friend should sit on a chair directly in a front of you with his back to you. Next place your right hand on your friend's nose - this trick is potentially a great icebreaker at parties. Now put other hand on your own nose and then gently tap and stroke both noses at the same time with identical movements. After a minute, this gives around half of participants the bizarre feeling that their nose is 3ft long, or that their nose is somehow elsewhere.

The science bit:

This illusion occurs because vision is not involved. You are touching and palpating a nose with one hand and feel your nose being touched and palpated (by your next hand). The actions and feelings are exactly the same, so after few seconds your brain realized that you are actually grabbing your own nose. Simultaneously you feel that your arm is stretched out, so the brain realized that the nose is about 1 meter long.

To be continued.

Questions:

1) Have you ever tried to cheat your brain consciously?

2) Have you ever seen "Magic Eye" series? Can you figured it out?

19 comments:

  1. 1) I was always curious about optical illusions and I've always paid special attention to them in so-called jokes and funny pictures chains.

    Our brain receives images from our eyes upside down. Wearing special glasses that turn everything upside down we get used to it after some time and see as usual. Interestingly, when you take them off again, our eyes need some time for to see normally again.

    2) I've seen them in your post. :) At the moment I can not figure out how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sometimes I try to chear my brain and I have a great fun.
    I've never seen this series so I can't say anything about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen "Maagic Eye", it's great fun: these books contain autostereograms allowing people to see 3D images by focusing on 2D patterns.

    Pain killer discovered by scientists from Oxford University is very interesting. I'm very intrigued: pain is relative concept, so what measures have been used to examine pain level?
    anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen "Magic EYE" but I will for sure;)

    Is is interesting how we can manipulate our brain. I will try ones those experiment with radio, ping-pong ball and red light (I haven't had non of this items besides of radio;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome, isn't it? people who have mastered cheating the brain are illusionists. It's about playing with our attention, but also with the way we perceive things. We should also be aware that other people use the techniques of brain cheating, and they don't mean to entertain us. It happens in marketing, but may also be used in more serious matters...
    you probably heard about the subliminal stimuli. Althought maybe not very efficient it exists.
    I sometimes try to cheat my brain to make it think differently. It would be great if it worked always... anybody who can do that might find greater happiness...

    I think I've seen some of the Magic Eye pictures. Great optical illusion:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were so many occasions that I could not believe my eyes in what I was seeing that I simply wanted to trick my mind and think that what I see does not exist. However I did not know how to do it and fortunately I do. Cheating your brain can be very helpful ability. When you want to fight the pain you are experiencing and you know how to cheat your brain it can help you avoid being hurt. I think that when it comes to our brain it can adjust to almost anything we want.

    So far I have not seen Magic Eye yet but I am intending to as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I completely forgot to add a link to appropriate "Magic Eye" presentation. Here you can find some of them:
    http://www.magiceye.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. >1) Have you ever tried to cheat your brain consciously?
    I've always try to cheat my brain to get pleasure from not interesting tasks. So I am always trying to find something positive about any boring task. Hm, I don't know if this counts for cheating due.

    Also: you can't consciously cheat brain. You have to cheat your subconscious and subconscious is not conscious. (That's my opinion).

    >2) Have you ever seen "Magic Eye" series? Can you figured it out?
    I've seen it and I was not amused. :P When I was young I remember my friends siting and watching "Magic Eye" series for hours.

    You haven't link us with the source, so I let myself to do it:
    http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/graphics/011109_hacking_your_brain/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cheat my brain when I need to. I didn't try any of the experiments which you have described, but I have my own. I will tell you about two of them. I run twice a week for about an hour each time. When I start to think about something that makes me angry, I increase my speed and I don't feel tired. I could say I generate stress to make my body work harder.

    Another example comes from yesterday. I've been to Dominican church to celebrate Great Friday. They have always gorgeous singing and I love participating in it. Unfortunately, there is always plenty of people, so there's no chance to sit, while the service is about 2,5h. Pleasure of singing was so occupying my brain that I haven't felt pain in my legs and back till the chants were over.

    I don't know much about Magic Eye series, but optical effect are always fun. The only exception are 3D pictures - I simply cannot watch them :-( It seems that my brain doesn't want to be cheated this way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I have not tried to cheat my brain consciously, however, I heard of those techniques and of how are they possible. I know that it is easy to deceive our senses and since senses are something processed by the brain, we can directly deceive our brain. It is an interesting topic. Scientists claim that the human brain and its potential are still not fully discovered. We are also said to use only 10% of what our brain offers us.
    I have not seen the 'Magic Eye' series but I found this website while reading more information on this topic: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/. This page demonstrates the most famous optical illusions. You can try them and see if they work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried it, but similar to Sebastian I sometimes paid more attention to the pictures and optical illusions.I've never seen Magic Eye series before but it is really interesting. But I can't figure it out, though I'd really like to.Our brains are really fascinating parts of us and I'm really curious what else can we do unconsciously, that someday we will find out about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that current games have destructive influence on young people. Probably not for all but for sure for the most. It all depends on a game genre, there all kinds of logical games that can develop child and shooter that may make children aggressive. I have two such cases in my family. The can spent 18 hours in darkened room playing. If you take pc or PSP away they may kill you, they cannon even eat with it because a moment later they have extreme form of ADHD combined with delirium. It is sic;). I used PC a lot when I was child and the best fun for was to cut a man with a saw in Doom 2 but it never made that addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not get that Magic Eye, all I see are pictures without any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will definitely try this Ganzfeld Procedure//
    and about cheating:) I guess I do it very often, sometimes when I'm bored I do kind of trick with my nose:) sound strange..but it's quite simple:) you have to cross your fingers and then touch your nose with these crossed fingers. It feels funny.
    "Magic Eye" series can give you a lot of fun, I used to play with these images all day long:) Everytime I had a new picture I was very curious what will I see. Very famous thing ten years ago..

    ReplyDelete
  15. and it is said that we are using only 10% of brain power, i can't imagine what we will be able to understand, and how fast we will be able to learn if it will be exploited more efficiently. Another well known example of cheating brain is placebo effect. During medical treatment patient really is taking only the supplements of diet, not as he was told, antibiotics. But this gives the information to his brain that he is in god hands of doctors under medical treatment, and he believes that it has to be fine. And it is proved that i works!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like these tricks, and often 'check' perceptions of my brain. Solving such guesswork give room to maneuver in our hemisphere of the brain and the satisfaction is guaranteed:)

    Often, as an interesting test of our brains are different types of IQ tests.

    "Magic Eye" is great for fun:) Very interesting color combinations that are not rarely misleading, are a great test of our senses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some time ago I read some text about our brain. There was said that if we would understand it in 100% there will come some kond of phenomena. We will now our moves in near future, we will now that soon we will move our finger, or will be hungry. This behaviour can follow to paranoia about knowing ourselves to much.
    I do not know if I explaid everything correctly. Hope you catched what i was going to mention ;). It was really interesting point of view.

    Back to your questions. Think we all sometimes cheat our brains. Alcohol is one of the examples ;).

    ReplyDelete
  19. In my opinion it's interesting that we can manipulating our brain. I have two books about "Magic Eye" and I have seen pictures, not all because it has different levels and if the level is lower that probability of seeing is higher. It's nice waste of time and we can see something supernatural - 3D images on 2D paper.

    ReplyDelete