Wednesday 24 November 2010

Culture of the world

In my presentation I would like to share with you my information about different cultures I know. When I have free time I try to find out some news about new cultures of another country.

M. Scott Peck , Famous American author said: “Share our similarities, celebrate our difference”, it means that some cultures have common or similar things like a language or religion, and this thing can be shared, but also every culture has something unique which should be celebrated.

The most important thing in creating a culture is: historical events which had a big influence on future, social customs and traditions which combine every country, also a language is very important in common culture.

Cultures it is also religion

Religion combines many countries in one common idea and beliefs. Religion is very important in making one culture. Religion can be explained as a set of beliefs and ideas which also can be common for one culture. Christianity is the biggest religion in the world, with about 2.1 billion followers worldwide. It is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ who lived in the Holy Land 2,000 years ago.

One of the most important things in creating culture is a Language.

source: http://www.asdk12.org/depts/world_lang/advocacy/

The most popular language of the world is Chinese.

Since 2001 there is organized a festival of world cultures. The Festival of World Cultures is an annual international arts festival which celebrates cultural diversity.



dlr Festival of World Cultures from Festival of World Cultures on Vimeo.

http://www.festivalofworldcultures.com/

The festival consists of kaleidoscopic programme of concerts & club nights, fairs & markets, performances, street events, workshops and so much more interesting things which show culture of the world.

At the end of this part I’d like to show you a trailer of the “East is East”. It’s very funny and interesting film which shows how parent choose a wife for their two sons.


Q:

1) What culture of the world You are most prefer and why.

2) Do You think that Chinse language can be the most popular language in the world in future , even most popular then English?

12 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't understand what do you mean by "preffering culture". I studied cultural anthropology and I think that every culture or sub-culture or ethnicity is different, fascinating and has right to develop. I hope that in our world will be more and more different ways to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Neither, diversity is good - makes the world more interesting.
    2. It is popular because there are a lot of chinese people. English is the language of science and this fact is not likely to change in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I really like USA culture, they have distance to theirselfs, they are easy-going an so on.

    2. It is very possible. More and more people learn Chinese even in Poland. Russia pays and gets money from China not in Dollars as it was, but in juans...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) It’s hard to say which culture is the best one. The first reason is that you can never know every culture that exists. The second that if you’re living between some people, in some culture, you can’t entirely understand different ones, mainly because you’re not used to some behaviors or traditions. You would have to meet a lot of people from different countries, find out what their habits are and live with them for some time to objectively judge their culture.
    2) I don’t think so. If it was possible it would have happened long time ago. We all know that most of the people in the world are Chinese but we didn’t start to learn their language, but still learn English. Why would it change? And also, people from China who want to have international contacts, friends they learn English as well- they don’t expect the others to learn Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Few years ago I would answer as most of my predecessors, but as time goes by I feel how much European I am... It doesn't mean that I believe that any culture is better than other or that I prefer any, but I feel stronger and stronger identification with European history, literature, way of thinking, way of feeling...
    2. The answer is in your graph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't say that I prefer any culture. There are parts of each culture that are great. I can't imagine cruelty of some cultures, but I also see there's much to do in ours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every culture is different and has something fascinating, something that attracts people. It's hard to say which culture is really the most interesting and you really love the most. To a select one you must know in depth all details.

    I do not think many people want to learn Chinese, because it is a difficult language, It is full of character, "bushes" of letters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m really keen on ancient cultures. That’s exciting to realize how people created such stuffs and monuments using different methods, other ways than we are now.
    I think the Chinese language IS the most popular language now. Because of the number of people leaving there… Chinese culture is quit smart. Just observe how they are trying to conquer the world.
    They’re putting a big amount of many in almost every country to undertake kind of a business. Maybe now we couldn’t notice that but in the future it would be very dangerous.

    Many years ago there was a polish publicist - Szymon Kobyliński. He used to draw the funny pictures to the “Polityka” magazine. I remember one – when China hadn’t been so expansive yet.
    Father to son said on a walk, when they saw a Chinese guy: “Synku ukłoń się, Pan Chińczyk idzie”.
    Now some economical publicist say “on the Polish-Chinese border”…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not think that the Chinese language was the most popular English is all too common, and practically every country, people are learning it. The most interested me in the Muslim culture there are many mysteries unknown and very different behavior. I would like to visit India sometime later my friends were and are attracted to this country.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. If I had to choose a culture I would probably choose the one I was born into which is Polish. Although It has it's flaws I don't think I would feel as comfortable in any other culture.
    2. I think Chinese will eventually become an important language, but it will take a while, and English still has at least 50 years "to rule the world".

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Polish culture for me is the best.
    2. I think there is a possibility for Chinese language to be so popular as English. To be more popular? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I like European culture the most because I grew up in it and I'm accustomed to it, in this sense, American culture is very similar because it's the same cultural circle. I don't like cultures of Asia and the Middle East as thy have completely different social structures and values.

    2. Chinese has the largest number of people who speak it. However, English is the most important when it comes to international communication.

    ReplyDelete