Wednesday 18 May 2011

Animal - our therapists - part 2

The dog might be man’s best friend but the same definitely can’t be said of the other critter whose medicinal service is one of the longest standing. The leech returns in triumph!!



Leeches having been used over 3500 years ago by Egyptians that we can find out from the old murals. Deployed to suck out the “bad” blood responsible for pain, fever, malaise, skin and circulation problems, they were also popular in ancient Greece, China and Arabic countries. Leeching was so popular all over the world that eventually the price of this “medicament” went up very much and in the middle of 19th century leeches were faced with extinction.

Today, many leech species are endangered and the medical leech (Hirudo medicinalis) is protected in most countries. This is just as well as it making a triumphant comeback - along with other species of leech - to conventional medicine after a break of more than a hundred years. Research has confirmed the efficiency of leeches in healing wounds, especially where blood vessels are largely damaged. Hirudotherapy is deployed in skin transplants, finger microsurgery, and reattaching limbs, as leeching prevents the risk of necrosis. It also reinforces the treatment of haematoma, joint inflammation, and tongue enlargement. All this is due to the blood thinning, pain relieving and anti-inflammatory substances found in the saliva of leeches.

The hygienic requirements of modern medicine are such that the creatures are not fished from rivers but bred in sterile certified colonies.

click here to watch the movie


Another aquatic therapy animals are two small species of fish (5-10 cm) from the carp family that are inhabited the hot thermal waters in the town of Kangal in eastern Turkey. They are used to cure skin diseases such as psoriasis.



The patient is submerged in a pool filled with warm selenium-rich water and the fish nibble flaking cuticle to facilitate the access of the medicinal water to the skin and provide a relaxing massage. The result are truly amazing. Looking at the before and after patient photo in the movie attached below , it is hard to believe that this is the same guy...

click here to watch the movie


QUESTIONS:
Have you ever heard about those kind of therapies?
Can you imagine the situation that you are undergone the leeches therapy?
How do you like such a "nice" creatures like leeches?

16 comments:

  1. I'm happy that you have written about leeches - not because I like them, but because they recall my childhood. My grandmother used to raise them for medical purposes. All family was terrorized, because her leeches needed something too eat. My grandma's pets used to escape from their jar sometimes. As a few years old girl I was terrified to meet them somewhere in the house, to step on them.

    Yes, I've heard about therapies that you've mentioned and I wouldn't resist to take advantage of it if I need.

    Do I like leeches? What the question! Aren't they adorable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a lot about this... technique, people was very resourceful ;)
    but I haven't heard about fish teraphy. It sounds interesting but I'd be afraid that maybe one small fish could be lost... under my costume :[
    As for last question... I feel shivers when I think about them, no, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about such therapies and I think that they are good way to heal our body from many diseases. The best way to cure your body in my opinion is to use dolphins. I think they have the power to cure people’s bodies.

    I cannot imagine such a therapy being conducted on me, however I am convinced that if I had to have one I would not hesitate. It my life depended on it I would definitely use it.

    I hate leeches and that is why I wouldn’t want to have one of those therapies unless I would absolutely need one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have heared about such therapies, but also like Hubert, I wouldn't like to have one of those - especially leech therapy. I think that a lot depends on our attitude towards the sickness - if we have positive attitude that we can overcome some ilness, we cure faster, and treatment goes better - I don't know if it is not even confirmed. Ofcourse we can't be treated just by positive thinking wihtout any therapy or medicines - but it helps a lot

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I know such therapies. I read about them. In my opinion these therapies are not the best idea. From what I read leech consumes 15 ml of blood and in return gives us the hirudin - thinners blood. I can agree that this is good effect for sick people but for me there is one problem. If someone body get used to this for sure it will becomes more lazy (read: weakened). Human body stops fight with the problem becouse it receives a simple and rapid healing element, but not cure. When we know that a patient must stops with this treatment? In my opinion, never. Becouse bad effects will return and with age man does not become stronger, it will be even more difficult for him. This is only another way to make extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leech therapy is something everybody heard about, but I wouldn't like to have this done to me. The very look of a leech is quite unpleasant. The fish seem much more friendly:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard about that kind of therapy a long time ago, but not a lot. To be honest, I thought that leeches were only used in ancient times. I had no idea that these small, weird creatures are still in use. It's surprising how they can heal people and how different species can help each other out.

    I think it's a kind of a symbiosis. Apart from that, I don't really think that I would be courageous enough to get into water full of leeches. Even if the people in the video seem to enjoy doing it, I would rather admire these small animals from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I have heard about those kind of therapies. I can not imagine that situation where leeches are on me;) I realy don't like when someone sucking my blood ;]. The leeches are neurtral for me - I could keep this creatures at home;).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes i have heard about such therapies with usage of leaches and thees little fishes. Second methode may not be only therapy but a pleasant massage as i have heard. I think it would be weird when the shoal of fish will eat your skin or what is on that, but it is common in nature. There are some birds which are cleaning the hippopotamus skin from some water creatures. Human learned that nature has many things to offer.Form example the spider web with bread putted on the wound will help with its healing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard of it before, but not very much. I can imagine it, but I'm not sure whether I would decide to have such therapy. It seems to be a bit disgusting. I can't say if I like such creatures because I've never had an opportunity to "spend some time" with them. In medical world they're getting more useful, so maybe they will become more popular as home pets too? I'm joking a bit, but as I look at them I definitely don't like them, but maybe they're nice animals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I have heard about them before but never tried. And I am not going to try - for sure. That's funny, due to many centuries and terrible increase of medical knowledge, we are still able to buy them in a Pharmacy. I am not afraid of leeches, but I'd prefer seen them from a big distance. Personally I hate every kind of insects. A specially those blood suckers. Even if they could make miracles happen. Yes, I can easily imagine such therapy but WITHOUT my presence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I have heard about leech treatments, in fact it is known and since around 1000 B.C.! I think as long as it is helpful to modern medicine it should not be abandoned, nor disapproved only because it may seem gross.

    I wouldn't discourage a leech treatment if it had any chances of helping me to heal wounds or any sickness. I don't find them appealing that's for sure, but I'm not disgusted by them either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. As far as I know such therapy is good as far as detoxicating is concerned. It can also purify blood.

    2. Why not? I do not have any thing against leeches. I wonder how they tast baked in batter :P

    3. In my opinion it looks like food it recalls me black pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo I watched it on TVN TV chhanel in Dzien dobry TVN program :) Some woman said that leeches therapy is effective, but is very expensive. It costs 2zł per unit but to one therapy 200 is needed! I like unconventional medicine, and I think it is most effective way of treatment.

    ReplyDelete