Tuesday 24 May 2011

Electronic music - Drum’n’bass Part 3

Drum and bass in Poland and worldwide


One of the most famous Polish d'n'b artists are CLS & Wax who produce mainly liquid funk. They released their tracks on Hospital Records and many other labels. Sonic Saturation is also a duo present in the international music industry; it releases music on the Strictly Digital netlabel. Ros and his project 'Sabbia' collaborate with jazz artists, vocalists and numerous producers. His Addiction Records label is responsible for deep jazz and atmospheric sounds. Simba released his remix on Uprising Records. DeeJay Delta is another representative of the Polish d'n'b – he released both in Poland and abroad. Symptom – a producer from Wrocław – presents clownstep sounds. His 'Turboganja' and 'Cocaine' were released on the American label Assasin Records. When it comes to harder styles, a crew from Łódź seems to be the best – Yabol, Pylon and Soccom who love techno-dnb which is a mixture of d'n'b and looped sequences originating from techno music. They released on Sinuous, Nerve and Venom inc. It is also important to mention Switch Technique, artist from Pniewy. His hard/darkstep sounds are an international brand; he produced music together with the famous DJ Hidden.


Although d'n'b has its roots in the UK, tit has established itself globally. There are big scenes in other English-speaking countries as well (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, US). It is also popular in Europe and in South America. São Paulo is referred to as the “d'n'b Ibiza”. Brazilian d'n'b is sometimes called "sambass", its style is original. In Mexico and Venezuela, artists combine the sound of d'n'b with experimental music. Asia also has a scene, for instance in Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan, Shanghai and Singapore.


Famous international producers and DJ's are for example: Ed Rush (UK), Makai (Germany), B-Complex (Slovakia), D.Kay (Austria), Noisia (Holland), Hive (US), Dieselboy (US), Black Sun Empire (Netherlands), Teebee (Norway), Evol Intent (US), Camo & Krooked (Austria), andMuffler and Physics (Finland).


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JYUICpaxNE

Polish drum and bass producers - CLS&Wax - Quite Perfect


Discussion:

1. Do you think that electronic music might become popular in Poland so that it would not only exist in the so-called underground?

2. What do you prefer and why - commercial pop music or less popular underground genres?

On behalf of Wojciech Czajkowski (s4554)

10 comments:

  1. Electronic music is very popular in Poland right now. Just go to the nearest disco club, what will you find? Techno, house, d'n'b or electro-something. When you see BMW car on the street what/who is inside? A nice, bald gentlemen in a sport dress with a BIG audio stuff inside and techno sound surround. When you decided to go for a vacation. When you have enough of parties, clubs, city life. Just to find a peaceful place, just for a rest. Who will live next to you?? WHO? A gang of 15-16 years old teenagers damning and drinking all the time with techno music turned so loud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you want more proofs of electronic music popularity? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, do you really think that electronic music in Poland is underground? As I said before, I don't know much about this kind of music, but I think it is already rather popular and it's still getting more and more fans in Poland as well as all over the world.

    I have never liked pop music - well, maybe when I was seven or something? ;) I usually listen to the bands that most of my friends are not familiar with. I like modern classic and jazz, old punk and contemporary folk mixed with electronic and so on. There are not many fans of music like that. However, it doesn't mean that commercial music can't be good. I don't like to divide music to commercial and not commercial. It's an artificial partition and sometimes it's really hard to find the real border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that electronic music is popular in Poland. In most clubs in Poland we can hear this type of music. And I agree with Tomasz that among young people electronic music is very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I mentioned earlier I prefer commercial music so I prefer pop over drum'n'bass, but that's no fixed rule. Sometimes I like to listen to classical music. Another time I listen to electronic music or hip hop. It all depends on the situation (club vs. work vs. relaxing).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listen to both commercial and uncommercial music, I value them both, though i think that today's commercial music is no longer atractive like it used to be...

    By the way, on youtube there is a peculiar testimony by a guy who believes all kinds of techno music are worship of the devil... watch it for curiosity:) it's called szokujące wyznanie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I think that such recess full genre will never became popular just like Linux based system.
    2. I prefer rock, metal etc, because I like it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I said before. „I hope not. Nowadays people don’t know what good music means..”.

    I agree with Tomasz, old BMW is a good place for this kind of music.;) and let's hope that it will stay there and never go out.

    But I can’t agree with s4480. This kind of music we can only hear in bad clubs for bald clients or during village parties in the fire-station..

    What I prefer? I can’t agree popular music only means pop and must be commercial. Let’s look at the Hot Chip, Gypsy & The Cat, Mumford & Sons etc. It’s not pop and it’s not underground genre.. it is just good music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't say that electronic music is the underground genre. Moby will be giving a concert during Warsaw Orange Festival in a month and there are loads of people interested in this show ;) But yeah, I know what you mean - and like I said before I don't know what are the music trends nowadays.

    Mostly, I don't like commercial (teenage) pop as most of the songs have blameworthy lyrics which I find disgraceful.. Just being honest, no offence to the ones who enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not think that this music is underground.
    Also, I'm sure more people listen to other types of music than just a commercial pop music. For me, D'n'B music is a little strange, I don't understand it. In fact, now people often sings for the money. Previously, everyone singing from the heart and they had talent. Generally I don't focus on the music, I listen this what I got from my brother and others friends. But I must admit that I listen all types of music.

    ReplyDelete