Wednesday 25 May 2011

Meet U.S.A

Meet United States of America

greatsealofUS.jpg

part I

I would like to tell you a little about the United States. I was never a big fan of this country also referred to as the world economic power. However, I spent in New York my last holiday so I had an opportunity to understand better this country. I realize that New York is rather like completely a separate region which doesn't resemble the "true U.S". Still I met there American people who were coming from different parts of the United States. I have to say I had the wrong picture of this place in my mind. But let's start from the beginning. I found some basic information and I'd like to share it with you.

Area: 9,826,675 km2 (pretty big right?:)


Population: 309, 345, 000

Political system: federal constitutional republic

Political division: federal union of 50 states


Language: English ( however it's not ordained by law, there is no official language at federal level )


Capital: Washington D.C.


Flag: 'The stars and Stripes' (50 white stars represent fifty states of America and the thirteen red and white stripes - original 13 colonies that declared their independence from the British Empire in XVIII century)


President: Barak Obama (as probably everybody know this info)Vice president: Joe Biden


National anthem: The star-spangled Banner (written by Francis Scott Key, 1814)


Religion: it's officially a secular nation, constitution of USA guarantees freedom of religion and even forbids the establishment of any religious governance


Coat of arms: The Great Seal (bald eagle holding 13 arrows and an olive branch in its talons, which means: 'a strong desire for peace, but will always be ready for war')


and a few extra info at the end

Largest city: New York

Largest state: Alaska

Longest river: Missouri

Highest mountain peak: Mount McKinley


If these information is not new for you I hope in the next parts I will surprise you with some new unknown facts.

In fact America is full of surprises. We can find there the things that we would loved and also those which we would hate. It's this famous diversity of USA. People very often call it 'the melting pot' in which so many various cultures co-exist. You can make your dreams come true there or find yourself out on the street. There's as many threats as opportunities. You just need to know what you like to do.

Have you ever been in U.S?

According to information I have listed, do you think you could live there?


Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/morning40oz/?action=view&current=greatsealofUS.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:George_Washington_French_Empire_mantel_clock.jpg

16 comments:

  1. No, I have never been to US. But I have to go there. Just for a trip. I couldn't live there longer then few months. It't not form me, actually. AS many people said: US is definitely worth to see but not for a long stay.

    So if you want to buy me a ticket I will say: with pleasure :) But if you offered me a rented flat and job there, I would fortunately refuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have been to U.S. few times. In Florida, Chicago and NYC. I have been there on vacation, visiting my friends. Florida (Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and Key West) I like the best, I've been there to visit my friend who was studding in aviation school ni Sanford, very close to Orlando. I've meet a lot of young Americans from different States, very nice people. I've spent with them many great moments but after those time (hanging out together over 3 months), I realized that it is not a country for me. I can not tell you, why not actually ... Maybe cause I feel that I am real European...(?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean,, I feel the same way;; There is a huge difference between the mentality of Americans and Europeans. It's nice to go there and stay for a while, visit amazing places like grand canyon which, unfortunately, I had no opportunity to see and many other as well. I realize it's not very cheap journey but believe me Tomasz if I would be a millioner I would buy you this ticket;;;) why not?)..however I'm broke right now sorry..

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I've never been there... And I can say like Tomasz - if someone buys a ticket for me, I would go there with pleasure. I'm sure it is worth of seeing great country. It's also very diverse because it is so big and there are so many beautiful wild places! Its nature attracts me more than anything else.

    I know only one man from US so I don't want to compare Americans to Europeans. The man I know used to be my boss and he was great, we still stay in touch. Anyway, there are so many negative stereotypes about Americans, that I guess there must be a seed of true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been in U.S.A. but I have their visa:P. I think that US it's not for me;) I would like to go there only for a trip or for a year but no longer.
    Summarizing:
    - For vacation or tour - YES
    - longer than year or to life - NO;]

    ReplyDelete
  6. America is totally interesting, i'd have to see it for myself to decide whether I could stay, but for now i think I could if it wasn't for the whole my life that is happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been there, but it's on my life to-do list. First of all I want to go there on vacation, but I could probably stay there for some time or my whole life. It all depends on the location and money of course. :)

    As an IT person Palo Alto, California would be a nice place, because big IT companies are there or nearby. It's also a nice place for living because of the climate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No i have never bee in U.S.A, but i think that it will take me a while to accommodate on that far a way continent. And my first feeling, when i think if i would like to live there is positive. Maybe because of this imagination of 'the melting pot'. It seems that everyone suits there. This is at a glance, but when i think about ours problem with visas they do not seems to be so friendly and trustful. On the one hand i can understand that they would like to have control on migrations, but Poland is country with witch USA declare friendship, this is what realy pissing me of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S Continent of North America of course, not continent U.S.A ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I have. Few times I think. As s8939 said, there is huge difference between the mentality of Americans and Europeans and it’s good to go there to visit some interesting places. But many people have seen the U.S. only on television and they don’t realize how there is in reality. Unfortunately people still think that it is a land of milk and honey.

    Also I think it’s stupid to declare that I’d like to live there because of 50 stars on US flag or any other stastical data like population. .

    So like s4480 said. For a trip – yes, for a whole life – no ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although my brother lives in USA for over ten years. I have never been there and I do not think I would suit there., I do not like their lifestyle, long distances to anywhere and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been to the USA but I have it in my long term plans :) It's pretty hard to have 4 week long holidays these days and that's how long I would like to stay there. Well, at least 4 weeks :) Just enough to buy a car and drive around 5-10 states.

    I think I could make a leaving in the USA, but it's a pretty darn long flight from all my family and friends. There are as many interesting places to live in Europe so I guess USA wouldn't be my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been in the united states.
    Could I live there? Frankly I don't know. II wondered whether to go to USA, but I do not see where the free pleasant life, which is here in poland. Yes I know it is poorly here, but is the life bad? Because who knows how life will work out there for person who will leave there. Can not get to the "Beverly Hills". The fact true even watching videos on youtube, I recently watched as the Negroes are fighting, I noticed that on the poor district of the Negro everyone has a car, and even a few and they were not old junk. Tempting fact. But I'm staying here and try to achieve something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve been to the West Coast of the United States and I lived in LA. I totally fell in love with California and as soon as I will graduate from school, I want to go back there for couple of years. For some reason it’s a very important place to me. My best friend lives there, but he says he hates US :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never been in USA and at the same time I can't say that I would like to go there. I feel like Tomek and Asia.

    I love Europe and if I have any extra money I prefer to spend them on traveling in Europe. I cannot say that USA is not interesting but probably it is not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A trip to the USA is an expensive game. Same passage in both directions is about 2-3 thousand PLN but that doesn't mean I don't want to go there. I've got two Polish friends, who left some time ago, and colleagues with whom I work and I would like to visit them, because they still invite me :) The USA has its own charm and my dream is to make a trip from East to West Coast if the United States, and finally to visit Hawaii and then I would be really happy :)

    ReplyDelete