Tuesday 24 May 2011

Electronic music - Drum’n’bass Part 1

The Music


Drum and bass (abbreviated to D’n’B or DnB) is a genre of electronic dance music which became popular at the beginning of the 90’s. It became a branch of the rave scene in the United Kingdom. The fusion of many different musical genres led to a lot of changes and an overall differentiation in its style. That’s why there are a lot of different opinions on what makes a ‘typical’ drum and bass. There are though some characteristic key features for all styles of drum and bass:


  • Drum and bass line elements


Bass line is a sub-bass pattern which can be physically felt (from a powerful sound system) because of the low-range frequencies present. Bass lines in most cases come from the so-called samples or are made with the use of synthesizers. They are often changed with the use of various sound effects, for instance: dynamic compression, flanger, chorus, over-drive etc. The 808 kick drum is also important; it is a bass drum sound sampled from the famous and classic Roland TR-808 drum machine.


http://zelizi.perso.neuf.fr/pics/machines/Roland%20TR-808.jpg


Roland TR-808 drum machine.


When it comes to breaks, the amen break is generally said to have been the most powerful break in d'n'b.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZuq57_bYM&feature=fvwrel


Amen Brother” by The Winstons. This is the origin of the amen break – here, it starts in 1:25.


http://cdn.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/amen-break.jpg


This is how the amen break looks.


  • Tempo


Drum and bass is usually between 160 and 190 BPM; however, it has become faster during its evolution and development. The first d'n'b tracks were about 130 BPM in 1990 and they sped up to 165 BPM in 1993. Since 1996, drum and bass tempo in most tracks has stayed in the range of 170–180.


  • Context


Due to the fact that drum and bass has to do with low frequencies which can be handled only by powerful sound systems, it was and is created to be played in clubs. However, you can also listen to mix CDs where a popular DJ or producer mixes live. DJs are often accompanied by one or more MCs.



As it was written above, there is a variety of subgenres within drum and bass:


  • Darkstep (oldschool sound of d’n’b made with the use of modern technology)

  • Hardstep (a harder style of d’n’b which is full of hard bass lines and heavy melodies)

  • Techstep

  • Neurofunk (a progression from techstep)

  • Atmospheric d’n’b (also called ‘intelligent’ or ‘ambient’)

  • Jazzstep (d’n’b influenced by Jazz)

  • Jump-up (Light-hearted tunes with loud melodic basslines and often hip-hop samples).


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLDRm_WBZ_A


Ed Rush – Glass Eye, darkstep track from a well-known album ‘Wormhole’


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEPTMDimvb0


Hardstep track from the label “Renegade Hardware”


There are also some potential subgenres of d’n’b which may also be treated as separate kinds which only share some characteristic features with d’n’b:


  • Breakcore (harder and faster)

  • Raggacore (harder and faster with ragga motives)

  • Ragga jungle.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fDgSSU5_K0


Breakcore/Raggacore track by a famous producer Cardopusher


Discussion:


  1. Do you know drum’n’bass? Do you like it?

  2. Do you think that music which is not made with the use of classic instruments but with the use of synthesizers and samples is of an equal quality?


On behalf of Wojciech Czajkowski (s4554)

13 comments:

  1. There days I can see a trend to mix everything to sound like dubstep. Even Korn made such a production... and to be honest it sounds pretty well. Here you can listen to this creation:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgPTDeaZyVc

    Your second question is hard to answer, because music is defficult to evaluate. Every person has different tastes and hearing habits. It is fantastic experience to go to "filharmonia narodowa" and listen to classical instruments. But in the other hand it is also nice to fell the power of hardrock or some kind of metal flowing directly from the stage. I personally like almost all kinds of music apart from a few exceptions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know that kind of music but it's not my favorite one. Actually I don;t like it.

    In my opinion we cannot say if music isn't make with a real instruments it is bad - or not equal. I do really like classic music made with basic instruments. On the other hand I am a big fan of few bands that create only electronic music and they are great, i.e.
    - Prodigy (I thing I do not have to introduce them), Fat Boy Slim (also well known)... and now Beardyman. Have you ever heard about him? That's a British guy who started to create his music using only mouth (aka. beat-box). Firstly he was one of the Beat-Box Challenge fighter. Now he is playing world wide concerts.

    Please see:

    1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BHpdU_BQ7c

    2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpKuVPykj0A

    3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ZtI7MrSBw

    Sometimes it's hard to belief all of that sounds come from through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know drum’n’bass but I am not a big fun of this kind of music. I like to relax while listening to the music. In long term listening Drum'n'bass makes me nervous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I don't know many songs from this genre of music, drum and base, but I can say that those songs what I have heard, I really liked them. I believe that this music can make a positive mood in all man. It stimulates a man hidden layers of energy, it winds up them to dance and have fun on party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit I haven't known that there is a separate kind of music called drum'n'bass. I used to know ambient music as a genre, but all the rest I was calling simply "electronic music". So, I'm not an expert ;)Still, I can say that the music from your presentation is nice and I like it. I think there can be always "good music" and "bad music" in every genre. It depends on of a composer and a performer sometimes too. I like different genres and some mixes of them too.
    I'm not sure what do you mean by the quality of music. Of course, traditional instruments, especially live or recoded in proper conditions, have some special kind of feeling. But does it mean that electronic music is worse? I think it's just different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this type of music, but it's not my favorite one. I agree with Tomasz Frender that we cannot say that music which isn't make with real instruments is bad or not… This type is different and it's neither better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The use of instruments or synthesizers, in my opinion, does not determine the quality of music. The music consists mainly of an idea. If the idea is good enough and people like it, it can be music made simply with your voice or a vibrating ruler on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine why music made with anything could be worse than music made with the standard instruments. Be it wood, rocks, trash bins (check out Stomp)...

    I LOVE the electronic music, but unfortunately - not this kind. This is boring and after a while gives you spinning head. Maybe if I wanted to get high, but not for pleasure. The kind of electronic music I love? Listen to Vangelis, Jarre, or a polish composer Marek Biliński (pure 80s:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my opinion every innovation in music is great. Faster or later it will be used in experiments with basic styles and in compilation with classic instruments and it will be called and also will be recognized as some standard. The Winstons is something what in my opinion is great to the party and it does no matter that this sounds are not made by strings or by air, but are effect of mathematical analysis. But the way whole music is strongly connected with math. It is very difficult to play because it is not only about the technique someone cary the instrument. Music is vision in head, and instruments are only different tools which helps show ones thoughts. I admire and i envy to people who can create music.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you know Blind Guardian etc.? This is music!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drum’n’bass is known to me only by its name. Before I read this article, I had thought that this is a kind of electronic music (like Asia). Techno or something.. After this article I know that’s a genre. But to me it’s still the same music as techno, trance and any other freaky stuff called electronic music. So I don’t like it.

    If I don’t like it and I can’t recognize this type of genre it’s hard to determine is it good or bad. To me this kind of music is not very ambitious and it’s boring. But it’s only my opinion:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do enjoy some Drum’n’bass tracks. After listening to the ones that you privided, especially one tune comes to my mind:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kg0PJNlDBI

    Quantic Orchestra is freaking awesome! :)

    Although I enjoy some Drum'n'bass tracks I prefer more lyrical genres.

    I also agree with my fore-speakers that instruments (or synthesisers in that matter) do not determine the quality of music. I believe that every genre has its' leaders that are admired not only for their technical instrumental skills but for the creativity to come up with extraordinary mood and powerful rhythm combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In 2004 I was at a Sunrise With Ekwador party in Kolobrzeg :) When I read the title of your presentation of it immediately reminds me it's because there were two DJs (Drum & Bass), who played a drum & bass. I really liked it then. Here is a link to the official movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhF_gA8oM-Y and they are in the 9th minute.

    ReplyDelete