Saturday 15 January 2011

Children of marketing - Part 3


… place like Starbucks. Anyone who has ever been to London knows that there are Starbucks every five meters. Those places are populated with people from lower to middle class that treat it like we treat McDonald's nowadays - as a relatively cheap place to grab something to drink or eat.






(image source: http://blog.jakubkazmierczyk.pl)



Of course down here in our little country Starbucks , which is a destination where you go if you want to show off. In order to do so you need to grab a camera, go to Starbucks, order a coffee and make a photo of yourself holding the cup. Make sure the logo is visible! What's even cooler is that you can put your MacBook or iPhone in the picture to maximize the amount of awe you will induce in your friends. Now put it on your Facebook and profit. Couldn't be simpler! On a more serious note it is scary to think that if we had Facebook or Nasza-Klasa seventeen years ago we would see photos of people holding McDonald's cups. I am sure that Starbucks will eventually share McDonald's fate when more coffee places are opened, more people start using it, thus lowering its elitist and trendy vector. Right now though it remains the no. 1 place to show off in Warsaw.






(image source: http://2.bp.blogspot.com)



Another thing after electronics and food is the clothing. There are many different brands that are at most of average prestige in the country of their origin but are absurdly overpriced and held in a very high esteem in Poland or in Europe in general. The most prominent example is arguably the Tommy Hilfiger brand. I've done a little research to compare the prices of the same piece of clothing sold in USA and in the European Union. I've chosen a nice looking, green sweater. In the American online store the sweater costs 50 USD (~150 zloty) while in Europe one has to pay 100 (~400 zloty) euros. That's almost three times as much for the same exact thing! The reason for it is exactly the same as was the reason for the Apple products. In Poland brands like Tommy Hilfiger (or, for example, Lacoste) are considered to be premium clothing while in the United States they are associated with regular clothes (like Diverse or Reserved in our country). In other words, you pay for the ability to show off the logo in front of others. You know what to do now. Go to your Facebook and check the photos of your friends. The probability of finding a picture with a screaming white, red, blue Tommy Hilifger logo is very, very high.






(image source: http://www.dealio.com)



To sum up: many people nowadays are driven by a need to show off in front of their friends. It could be a new worthless digital gadget, a plastic cup from an ordinary coffee place that pretends to be something more or an overpriced pair of jeans but the idea is always the same: to get something that is considered to be:


  • trendy

  • premium (more expensive than a regular thing)

  • craved by others (for example, your Facebook friends!)

  • heavily marketed (you need it even if you don't know that yet)




Eventually, current show off brands will become common (like McDonald's in the past) and less exciting but there always will be something new to replace them. Because how else would you prove your friends that your life is that much better than theirs?



Questions:


  • Let’s imagine following situation: you and your boyfriend/girlfriend are sitting in Starbucks opposite to each other. Now, do you talk via your mouth or via iChat? Oh, I know you can think how stupid I am but I have seen such situations many times. Is it normal thing? :/

  • What is your favorite café?

  • What kind of photos are presented on your facebook (or nk) profile? Is it your car, 60 inch TV, bottles of vodka (very popular) or maybe just you and your dog?:)


17 comments:

  1. We talk via morse code, usually using flashlights but sometimes we beep when it's quiet.

    I don't have a fav cafe, I prefer a takeaway when there's nice weather outside.

    It is my profile so I am on the photos.
    I'm sick of "photoshopped" pics that have this strange violet-ish tint and are undersaturated. Even more silly when you see a whole galery like that, jeez..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read your text with smile on my face and thought how abstract these described situations are. Then I realised I know people like this and I assumed that they are very effective in the job they do - they are really considered as extremely trendy.
    I don't have a favourite cafe, but there are some nice places around my home to go. Being near is one of most important criteria :-) Also being cosy and not very expensive.
    About the photos, there's not much of me as I'm the one who holds a camera most often. Still, my friends know me, so there's no reason to create a false image of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You say that "many people nowadays are driven by a need to show off in front of their friends". In my personal opinion, that's not the entire truth. Showing off seems like a part of ourselves. This doesn't change much. I'd say that logos change, but the mechanism stays. There was McDonald's, there will be more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1)I think that thats kind of situations can be original ,when You are talking each other by chat instead by mouth,sometimes by chat You can to say something things which You are afraid to say bu mouth.

    2)My favorite cafe its is Coffe Haeven,there is served the best coffe in the world besides ,It is very good place for meeteing with friends.

    3)On my Facebook there is many kind of photos,especially from holiday or with my friends .

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) I live traditional way, I use my mouth fot talking ;)
    2) I don't have favourite cafe, but I very often buy in Coffe Heaven because it is next to office where I work ;)
    For meetonmg with friends I prefer rather small places.
    3) Me and my dogs, of course ;)Maybe because i don't have car, TV and don't drink vodka very often?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other thing is that I'm a big fan of people having public profiles with pictures of themselves being drunk, sleeping on toilet etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course that via mobile phone. Sometimes we use smoke-marks, drawing charts or just lapping-clicking-and-smacking language (like kind of a nation in Africa).
    Also it depends on a period of relationship. If you’ve known each other for few years, you simply don’t have more topics to cover. So you can just lunch an iChat and talk also with your girl and with somebody else.
    I have to spend up to 10 even 11 hours daily working on computer so… every moment that I can forget about computer’s screen is a BLESSING. I cannot imagine situation that I take also a computer to coffee place just to talk.

    My favorite coffee is: big, hot and bitter with milk, brand is quite not important (hopefully not “Inka”, “Dobrzynka” or “Turek”).

    I don’t have a FaceBook account so I don’t have any pictures on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my opinion talking by chat is for person who don't have in real world.
    About the scend question i don't have a favorite cofe becouse I don't drink cofe.
    I don't have any photos on my facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Such a ridiculous situation!! But if I
    understand correct a state of affair of this couple, I could find an worthy explanation - it could be a kind of flirt..;)
    2. I don't have my favorite cafe. I love the taste of coffee connected with nice conversation so from time to time I like to meet with my friends in nice place where we can order a good coffee.
    3. I don't remember when I publish some pictures on facebook last time... It was probably with my daughter and/or wife;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me, the chat conversation is only used to contact friends to make an appointment or talk. Personally, I prefer meeting face to face when I see the emotion which is very important. Do not have a favorite coffee shop I visit generally rare in such places. Cafés remind me of the serious discussions, and older people:) On my profile I have a few photos and if you have it where I am alone or with my girlfriend. I do not like to show up for a Facebook profile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This situation that you describe seems to me quite strange. If you're talking with his girlfriend through iChat, it should be treated:) It is sic.

    I do not have a favorite cafe. For me the best coffee taste can be achieved at home in my favorite cup.

    On Facebook, I have one and only picture of me and 2 friends. Why? I am a serious man and I will not fool around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I am a traditionalist in this case, I use the boring method of conversation face-to-face. The situation you mentioned is not too normal, but I have sent an email to someone sitting next to me, because of privacy issues and also it was easier to explain what I wanted. That was at work. A date is something completely different.
    2. I don't have favourite cafe, I like discovering different places.
    3. I don't have photos of gadgets or vodka bottles. Most of my photos on facebook are of my friends and snowboarding trips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let’s imagine following situation: you and your boyfriend/girlfriend are sitting in Starbucks opposite to each other. Now, do you talk via your mouth or via iChat? Oh, I know you can think how stupid I am but I have seen such situations many times. Is it normal thing? :/

    I don;t think You are stupid. I also saw this kind of a situation in my life but in Dublin. I would talk via my mouth because it's faster than writing something on the keyboard.

    What is your favorite café?

    My favourite cafe is Rue de Paris on Francuska Street because I don;t like coffe but I always eat pan cakes there. :D

    What kind of photos are presented on your facebook (or nk) profile? Is it your car, 60 inch TV, bottles of vodka (very popular) or maybe just you and your dog?:)

    I have photos only with my friends and my family. I also have a lot of provacy settings so that strangers cannot watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. maybe they were dumb or sth. I don't think that normal people do so... If you go for coffee with someone it's normlan that you speak to that person. I like coffee a lot - Starbucks, Coffee Heaven and other - I like double espresso best. On my facebook profile I have a photos of my aleone or with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all - is "Children of marketing" an expression in English? It seems as directly translated from Polish :)

    Sure it's not, and I'm pretty sure that none of the poeple on this blog would understand it as it's the thing of the next generation. Nowadays youths are a bit strange. Even though they seem open-minded, they are not so easy-going, nor very socially active I'd say. By socially active - I don't mean facebooking.

    What is your favorite café?
    My girlfriend always goes to Coffee Heaven, so I have no choice but to go there too :) Nonetheless, I'm not a fan of mass cafés. I prefer a strong, Turkish coffee.

    What kind of photos are presented on your facebook (or nk) profile? Is it your car, 60 inch TV, bottles of vodka (very popular) or maybe just you and your dog?:)
    I don't have a profile photo, I only share a few photos of me with my friends and girlfriend. Most of my pictures are pinned by my friends I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many people act stupidly, don't give them satisfation by paying an attention to them! Like I said before, I don't like coffee.
    And I don't present any photos on my Facebook profile. Every friend of mine knows how I look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. Somehow I can't imagine myself being that stupid...

    2. I like "Coffee Heaven", it has similiar quality as Starbucks but it's much cheaper. I also like the fact that it's a Polish brand.

    3. I have 2 or 3 photos there - it's just me with my friends, nothing special.

    ReplyDelete