Saturday 22 January 2011

Yes, it's me again and once more I'd like to show you something about our mind. Both previous parts were about diseases that were obvoious in some sense. Each of them were a lack or excess of something, but this part is about something that may be seen as a spiritual, supernatural or more like a case for a psychoanalyst. These aren't problems considered by many people as neurological or medical. Let's get to the stories, because that's what is really interesting.

Miss O'C lived in home for elderly and was hard of hearing. One night she was awaken by very loud Irish music. Beside her, no one was awake. She started to look for a radio that might had been responsible for those sounds, but every one was off. After that, she realized that her dental filling might acted like an antenna. It turned out that it wasn't the reason. After she visited some doctors, she came to doctor Sacks. All the time she was listening that Irish music and it made doing anything impossible. As silly as it may sound, she had problems with communication with others because of that. After some talk, it turned out that these songs were memories from miss O'C's childhood. After some more days of tests, music started to become more and more silent and in course of few weeks, music disappered.

When describing this case, Book's author tells a story of other similar cases. There are hundreds of people with problems alike the mentioned one. Some of them were worse, because they didn't disappear just like that. Everyone described there, could have recalled those songs as being part of his past like for Miss O'C. The sad part of this disesase is that there were some people that had parts of their brains removed to get rid of the neverending stream of music. It was just physical removal of memories. The interesting part is that it seems that brain can keep or keeps memories and can show them as if they were happening at that very moment.

Other thing is that some people can forget something like Donald did. He took phencyclidine and killed his wife after that. Another day he didn't remember anything. He was hypnotised and tested in many other ways that prooved with high certainity that really didn't remember what has happened to his wife. He was imprisoned and after many years there, he was freed. Not longer after that, he had an accident which harmed his brain. In hospital he had nightmares of him killing his wife and it turned out that these were the real memories of what he did in the past. It's really amazing that brain really remembers everything but it seems that we just can't find it there. For me it seems that brain is a mystery that we know little about.

I recommend you to watch Oliver Sacks talk about hallucination from TED conference:


Do you know any interesting medical cases involving brain?
Do you have deja-vu sometimes? Do you think it's like a flashback in some way similar to above-mentioned stories?
What do you think of science of the brain? Can it lead to our full knowledge of what brain is, how it works and where our soul is there?

13 comments:

  1. I've heard of braindeadopia, more info here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD8ma6MCuYY

    Sometimes I have a deja-vu, not sure what it is to be honest. I just get this feeling I experienced it before.

    We're far from fully understanding how the brain works but I think it's important both for science and medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been interested in medical cases involving brain. Sometimes I have déjà-vu, but really don’t know what it is. I only know that’s creepy feeling that influences on later state of my mind. I mean, I start to think a lot about all these situation I saw in déjà-vu.
    It’s hard to say when (or even if) we get full knowledge about all rules which steer our mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blogs have been very interesting for me and I am going to read "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat",Oliver Sacks, soon.

    I can't remind any interesting cases that involves brain or mind, right now... BTW I like to read books or articles with case studies concerning psychology and neuroscience. Such a fascinating is the fact that human being use just only a couple per cent of the brain... What is responsible the rest of it for? Is it a good question? I hope that the scientists will prove it in near future...

    What is strange - I have never had a déjà-vu for my whole life. I don't know this feeling. What a pity... :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know any interesting medical cases involving brain, I like watching "Dr.House"- there are sometimes that kind of cases. Sometimes I have deja-vu, it is strange feeling for me. Science of the brain is very interesting thing, but it is also very hard. I think that brain is very complicated and we'll never have full of knowledge about that. I don't think that it is measurable how much of our soul is there

    ReplyDelete
  6. kniaz: I'm afraid that "people use only 10% of their brain" thesis is just a myth. I'm not an expert in that, of course, but Scientific American seems like a place that knows something about that. I recommend this article about that.

    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=people-only-use-10-percent-of-brain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Few days ago I have read an article about a brain chip that can be used to control endoprothesis if someone lost leg or hand. Furthermore this science project will be founded in Poland. You can read more about it in chip.pl site. I have no fucking time for looking for specific link.
    In my life I rather experience Flash-forwards by physics it is believed that knowing the course and other parameters of the particles that everything is made of the future course of action could be predicted. In my opinion my outstanding brain can from time to time raise its activity in order to predict the move of those particles and with the usage of this knowledge puzzle up pictures of the futures. Sometimes I also experience something like bullet time but it feels as if it was different time and different space. I am quite sure that those are flashes of the parallel dimensions.
    In my opinion human brain should be studier very intensively. I believed that brain hides enormous unused potential. Maybe better understanding of how the brain works would allow us to copy and paste our conscience from one body to another or even into the immortal mainframe of some cybernetic body.
    By the way I would personally disqualify anybody who posted this note after his week past. I have much better things to do than writing a lot of posts in the last two days of the course. I don’t see any reason why do I have to pay for the laziness of some people having a lot of exams and projects ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve read few articles about that. As I remember normally we are able to use up to 15-20% of our brain.
    At 30% level human’s brain could be equal with computer’s processor. At 40-50% we would be able to talk via minds (without words and mouths). At 70% we could move things only by mind’s waves. 90%.... it’s even hard to imagine. Yes. I have déjà-vu sometime. Funny feeling and quite scary actually. Some people explains that fact by reincarnation or separate, parallel mystic beings. Future of brain. We have to wait for the next steps of evolution.
    Few days ago I found something interesting about people’s brain.
    BRAIN:
    Capacity: 40 billion neurons (30 billion for cerebellum, 8 billion for cerebral cortex, 2 billion for the rest) so that means: 50 x 10^12 = 50 Tb (when we assumed 1 bit – 1 neuron’s synapse). =~ 10 TB RAM.
    Connection: 4000 per neuron means 5x10^13 connections.

    Information flow: Eyesight - 5000 bits per sec; 2500 pixels and 20 bits per pixel. Memorizing 5 kb/sec.
    Computational power: 5x10^13 connection - difference 100Hz means 5x10^15 operations per sec.

    That’s amazing.
    More at: http://www.fizyka.umk.pl/~duch/Wyklady/kog-m/01.htm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krzysztof Wold: I'd be very happy to add my post on proper days, but on Tuesday it turned out that I don't have permissions to do so. I wasn't aware of that fact, because I was able to add comments. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I didn't do that on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Krzysztof Wolk
    You are my personal hero and I agree fully with your comment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know any interesting medical cases involving brain?

    Once I have seen a documentary about a guy who has lost half of his scull (along with part of a brain). Not only did he manage to survive, but also successfully went through therapy and is now able to communicate and do simple things on his own. It's amazing how the brain works. Still, I wonder if we will ever know how exactly does it work.

    Do you have deja-vu sometimes? Do you think it's like a flashback in some way similar to above-mentioned stories?

    Well, of course, but lately I didn't have any. I wonder why...

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1)I dont really interesting thats kind of medicine so I dont know any interesting medical cases invlving brain
    2)Yes I have sometimes deja-vu,but not very often I heard taht It is happen reagrd on fatigue of brain.

    I think that science of the brain it is very helpfull to improve our knowledge about it and help to recover some new methode to treat the ilness conected with brain

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not interested in medicine at all so I have never heard about any case involving brain. But I have deja-vu sometimes but I never wonder why does it happen.
    I think science of the brain is unbelivable complicated and exploring it requires a lot of time and researches. I think it would be extremely hard to understand how the brain works exactly. Anyway, there are many mysteries of brain that need to be solved.

    ReplyDelete