Monday 13 June 2011

American Football part 1

Hello and welcome. Today I would like to present you an extraordinary topic for Poles. I would like to tell you a bit about American football.

In this part of my presentation I am going to tell you a bit of general rules which are not so difficult that you imagine, but I would not go into details because it can be a topic of all 3 parts. In the next one I would like to show you differences between American football and rugby. I saw that many of you cannot distinguish both of them.

So let's get started, like Pink said in one of her songs. First thing is a field, but before that I have to say that every measure connected with this sport are in yards or feet, so to give you some orientation, here are conversions:

1 yard = 0,9144 meter

1 feed = 30,48 centimeter

http://pl.wikipedia.org

This is a general painting of a field. American football is played on a field 360 by 160 feet. The lines crossing the field are called yard lines. They appear every 5 yards, and are numbered every 10 yards from each goal line. The next question you can ask is what the goal line is? So near each end of the field there is a line: they are 100 yards apart. You can see it in the picture above. There are the lines dividing two different green colors on the left and right side of the picture.

Some general rules

This rules are very basic and I will not go much into the details because you will may fill a bit confused. But sill, it is not so difficult as you can imagine.

  1. The main purpose of the game is, of course, to collect as many points as it is possible. If we are talking about scoring it is now a good place to mention a bit about it:
    1. The most important one is a Touchdown. It is worth 6 points. This happens when a player runs with the ball into his opponent's end zone or catches a pass in his opponent's end zone.

After a touchdown we can still score additional points. There are 2 main actions:

i. The first one and the most ordinary is to kick the ball through the goal posts and it is worth 1 point

ii. The second situation is called a two-point conversion and it happens when, again, the attacking team carries the ball to the end zone of the opponent. This action is much riskier and it is worth 2 points

    1. There is one more possibility to score extra points. This action is called a field goal. It is more or less similar to 1point action after a touchdown. The only difference is that it is further to the goal posts. Successful action gives the attacking team extra 3 points. What is more in NFL we have a famous Polish kicker Sebastian Janikowski and his 61 yards kick is still one of the best in the NFL.



  1. When the game starts the attacking team has to reach a goal line. The general rule is to move 10 yards from the starting position in 4 attempts. The team can do it in 2 different ways:
    1. First one is to do a running action. Then quarter back gives the ball to another player from his team and he has to run toward the goal line, avoiding the opposing team
    2. Second is a passing action. In this one quarter back throws a ball to one of his friends on the field.

If it does not happen, the teams change their roles and the defending team is going to attack.

  1. Every action has to be planned in detail. Before any move quarter back tells his team about the moves they will perform. What is more, he has to look at the time, because between any actions there is only 40 second break to discuss tactics.
  2. The action starts when the player from the middle of offensive line (center) picks up the ball and passes it to the quarter back.
  3. The offensive action stops when the player with the ball is knocked down or is pushed out of the field.

Difference between American football and rugby.

To be honest it is easier to say about similarities, because there is only one. In both of these games there is an egg looking ball. Everything else is different. The easiest way to differentiate these 2 sports is that in rugby players do not wear any armors and helmets.

http://demotywatory.pl/

This movie found on YouTube shows a bit of differences. The easiest will be to see both rugby and American football matches


Little summary

After this presentation you can feel a bit confused. Firstly I told you only about very basics rules, secondly you have to go and see match for yourself. Best if you have someone who can tell you what is going on on the field exactly in some moments. Do not worry. There are 2 teams in Warsaw playing regularly , but about them and other Polish teams I will tell you in the next part of my presentation.


Hope you enjoyed it. See you later!



Questions:


1.
Did you know anything about American football before this presentation?
2.
Would you like to play such a game or maybe you are playing already?
The last question was rather directed to man. So now something more for girls.

3.
Would you like to be a fan of an American football team and would you enjoy going to match?

11 comments:

  1. 1. Did you know anything about American football before this presentation?
    Personally, I've never been interested in sports, but about American football as much as I know from the movies:)

    2. Would you like to play a game with a dry or maybe you are already playing?
    I've never played the sport, but after reading this presentation I think is quite interesting and could be fun with rolling in the grass:)

    3. Would you like to be a fan of an American football team and would you enjoy going to match?
    Cheering is always cool when near does not have the "psełdo" fans. I could go for the match, in order to see how look like in live this "show".

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw the photos in your presentation, I thought that American football and rugby are the same thing! I didn't know too much about those games, just from movies, where football played minor roles. I really like American sports and I am quite jealous that American kids can choose to play baseball or ice hockey on PE lessons in school. When it comes to girls and their input into such games they have an alternative of being a cheerleader, although if possible I would much prefer to play ice hockey myself.
    The rules still confuse me, I understood what the game is about but I think it's the easiest to grasp the rules by practicing. The thing that always makes me wonder is what's the point of the ball being in such a weird, oval shape? Also, why do they need to wear all those armors and helmets? What's so dangerous about this game? The video makes me think rugby is a very brutal sport as well. I'm also wondering what's the goal in rugby?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Did you know anything about American football before this presentation?
    Yes, I knew about American football as much as I noticed in the movies. :)

    2. Would you like to play such a game or maybe you are playing already?
    I haven't played American football, but once I thought about it. I have a predisposition to play this game. However, in Poland I hasn't yet met place where that matches are played, this is not popular in Poland.

    3. Would you like to be a fan of an American football team and would you enjoy going to match?
    I'm not a girl, but why not. I would be happy to go on football match. Certainly watching the gang of pets on the field, would be an interesting experience for me :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :) I used to have a problem with understanding the rules of American Football. Now I can understand almost everything.

    Please, write down another presentation explaining baseball game :)

    I've heard something about it before. Even I watched few games - but I wasn't so keen on it. Maybe limitation was rules unawareness? Who knows. If I have a possibility to play I would definitely do. But I'm not so interested in any kind of football game. SO I couldn't be a real fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I heard about American football before and I saw it on tv.
    I think and I know that this sport is not for me - I tried it.
    I'm not a fan of Amercian football and I don't want to be - as I write this is not sport for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had very little knowledge about American football before reading your presentation. Mostly because I don't find it appealing at all. It's popularity never even got me thinking about playing, nor watching matches.

    I played rugby plenty of times with my mates and I loved it. The first time I played rugby was in England with my Australian colleagues - they couldn't believe that I didn't know how to properly pass or throw a ball ;) I picked up quite quickly I think though and was able to score some unexpected points ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Michael said, I know very little about this. But you may be surprised because I know that American football is something different than rugby!

    I think even if this game is not very interesting to me I could try to play. Probably this could discharge negative energy from my body :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats great that some of you know something about american football.

    @s6476 - it was the main reason for me to do such a presentatnion. To show people that rugby and american football are different sports. Rules are not so confusing, it is enough to go and see one of the matches live. There is a speaker expaining everything carefuly. I am also jealous that American kids can choose to play baseball or ice hockey on PE lessons in school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Did you know anything about American football before this presentation?

    I know everything I should know to know that I don't like it. ;)

    2. Would you like to play such a game or maybe you are playing already?

    Nope. I rather play plain-old-polish-football. Or ride a bike.

    The last question was rather directed to man. So now something more for girls.
    3. Would you like to be a fan of an American football team and would you enjoy going to match?

    Never. I rather sit at home and stare at the wall. What the hell is with the Americanization? The old continent has it's own sports and tradition. Not everything invented/popularized in USA is great and we should implement it everywhere. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard about American football only from some movies and to be honest it looks little silly to me. Rules are strange. Perhaps if I would have a chance to play I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know American Football only from movies because it's not popular sport in Poland. I don't know rules exactly and it's not interesting me ;) I have a friend who was the coach of the Warsaw Eagles team. That's all what I can write about American Football ;)

    ReplyDelete