Saturday 18 June 2011

American Football part 3

Hello everyone!

Every thing is going to the end. The same unfortunately happens with this presentation. In the last part I will tell about a homeland of American football which is, as you probably know, USA.

In American football players are treated as heroes. They have fan clubs and earn a lot of money . If we are talking about salaries it will be good to mention a bit more about it. From last presentation you can remember that most of Polish players do not have any salary. Let’s compare this knowledge with salaries in the US teams.

New Orleans Saint quarter back gained in 2010 about 9 800 000 in one season. Running back from the same team gained $ 8 000 000 These are true salaries given by the club. You can add a bit more taken from, for example, advertisements. In my opinion it will double the amounts. Our Polish player Sebasian Janikowski, kicker from Oakland Raiders, is one of the best sportsmen in Poland. He signed a contract for next 4 years worth $ 16 000 000 .

http://www.sport.pl/

For comparison right know Rober Kubica is on the top of the list with 25 000 000zł earned in one season in Formula 1 with the Renault Team.

The main organization in USA is called the National Football League (NFL). It was established in 1920 and nowadays contains 32 teams around the United States. All league is divided into 4 divisions: East, North, South and West. In every season every team from the league plays 16 matches in 17 weeks of time.

After all seasons play-offs start. It consists of 6 best teams. 4 of them are champions from every division and 2 more on the "wild card" rules. The last and final match of tournament is called Super Bowl. I will tell you about it a bit later.

On the NFL website you can find almost every information which is important for real football fan and links to all American football teams.

http://www.nfl.com/

Festival of American Football - Super Bowl

Super Bowl is a final match for the American football championship. All of the ceremony is called Super Bowl Sunday and has become a national holiday. From most of years Super Bowl finals are most viewed sport transmissions in USA. Last Super Bowl final took in front of TV 111 000 000 of people. This entails huge costs of advertising. Advertiser are ready to pay unbelievable amounts for showing a bit of their products. It was said that FOX television took about 2 700 000$ for 30 seconds of time in every break in broadcasting. It gives $ 250 000 000 for all Super Bowl final.

http://wikipedia.org/

Here are statistics of last 3 Super Bowl Finals:

Date

Winner

Second Team

Result

City

Stadium

1 lutego 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers

Arizona Cardinals

27-23

Tampa

Raymond James Stadium

7 lutego 2010

New Orleans Saints

Indianapolis Colts

31-17

Miami

Sun Life Stadium

6 lutego 2011

Green Bay Packers

Pittsburgh Steelers

31-25

Arlington

Cowboys Stadium

http://wikipedia.org/

I would like to make a bit of summary after all the weeks of American football.

First of all, I wanted to bring you a bit closer to this exotic, for Poles, sport. I hope it happened :).

Secondly, maybe some of you wanted to play as a child in a football team. Now it is possible, Polish league is developing really fast and will probably in the near future be able to compete with other European leagues. I am sure in next 5 years’ time there will be live broadcasts directly from Polish fields on TV.

Some last questions:

As you see, salaries in NFL are huge. Do you think money should control sport?

One wanted to be an astronaut, another a firefighter. Who did you want to be? Maybe a football player as I did ? :)

10 comments:

  1. I must admit that after I saw another presentation is about football, I put reading it off for a very long time. Even though I still don't understand everything, you really interested me in this sport.

    I think the money spent on adverts playing during football matches are unbelievable; it's the best time to play them and companies often bid on who gives more, so I think there are no set prices.

    Who did I want to be when I was little? I think it was a princess? Later on I wanted to be a traveler or a photographer, maybe a painter; ever since primary school I wanted to work with movie production or design scenography and costumes in a theater... I think that's all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since ever money has been running all kind of sports. In American Football scale is huge indeed. In my opinion money shouldn’t be the most important but its running all business. It`s linked so without money there wouldn’t be such emotion.
    When I was young I wanted to be a policeman. Later my dream was to be fireman. Meantime my aim has changed and now I want to be myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sport without Money? Unfortunately, nowadays, this is not possible.. For sure money shouldn’t control sport but this is what we can only dream about because sport doesn’t exist without money.. Lack of sponsorship is equivalent to lack of high level of competition. This leads to little audience interest.

    Who did I want to be? I think like most little boys.. it was a fireman! Or something.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that money should not control sport - but now it is so;/ and this is very sad. Sport - mostly -should be pleased.
    I want to be a happy man ;) I believe that for happy people have no any restrictions or limirs - they can get everything. I want this and I stiving to this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with you all. Unfortunately money are the force which drift sports to higher level. What is more it is now not only human, but also a technology. In my opinion it schould be like in ancient Greece where sportsman on Olympic games were naked :D. Sport is a business, every entertainment right now is a business...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to be emperor.
    And really, I think I would give cope with this position.
    When it comes to football, it might one day try to play this game, although it is no longer good on my age. Well, probably I wont find another willing ;)
    Remains for me to watch matches and cycling, really like it!
    Oh, and I do not think that money should control the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you see, salaries in NFL are huge. Do you think money should control sport?

    I think that salaries of celebrities and sportsman are disproportional to their work. I don't know if money should control sport but money controls probably most of everything. ;)

    One wanted to be an astronaut, another a firefighter. Who did you want to be? Maybe a football player as I did ? :)

    I didn't want to be anybody, really, I still don't know who I want to be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really get your question but in my opinion sport is already controlled by money.

    Not really a football player. Since I was a child I always wanted to became a prince of Super Sayijin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's quite obvious that sports should not be motivated by money, but the reality is far from that. The media will lust for everything that might bring profits, the same applies to sponsors. Of course funds are very important, not to say vital for success.

    I'll surprise you here I think... When I was a kid I wanted to be an archaeologist :)

    ReplyDelete