Friday 17 June 2011

Designed childhood

Have you ever heard about hyper-parenting? Perhaps not, especially if you are not parents yet. Still, you could notice some differences in raising children now and in time of your own childhood. You may remember playgrounds full of kids of diverse age, running and screaming without parents guarding them all the time. Now it’s rather an unusual view. So-called ‘helicopter parents’ prefer their children to spend more time at home, where they are safe, or on numerous after-school activities.

Of course, not all the parents of 21st century are continuously controlling their children. Some kids are simply staying at home and playing computer games or watching TV and that’s why they are not playing outside even if weather is perfect. Their parents have no time to engage in their childhood so much, because of their own career. It seems that time is running faster than it used to in previous centuries. Still, parents feel much more pressure to protect their children than even 20 years ago. Almost everyday we can read headlines like: “A three year old girl fell out of the window” or “Two children injured in a car accident”. There’s plenty of information about kidnapping and abusing babies too. So, danger is everywhere and parents live in constant fear. Do you think that now life is more dangerous now than it was twenty years ago?

Webcams in nurseries have become more popular lately. Another instrument of constant control are cell phones. A few years old kids have their own phones so parents can call them when they are at school. Next, there are special chips (it’s not a joke!) that help parents find their kids on Google Maps.


I think that this need to control children is a part of our attitude towards them. People have one or sometimes two children and believe they can’t afford to have more. Kids became some kind of expensive gadgets to show off, so celebrities like to be photographed with them. Being pregnant lets actress to get to the covers of magazines.



If you decide to have only one child, the pressure to make it genius grows. People spend enormous amounts of money for Chinese lessons, ballet classes or Baby Einstein CDs to make their heir a star. There are no scientific proofs that “programming” children at such a young age works. Parents do their best to ensure their children will succeeded in their future life and they start from the very beginning. A “Project: Child” starts much earlier than when their kids are born. They plan conception. They try to plan baby’s sex. They try to plan their zodiac sign. Sometimes they plan twins. If they have in vitro fertilization, they can select which embryo will be born and even if their children will inherit their genetic disabilities. Can you imagine that dwarf parents sometimes choose their baby to be short too?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16299656/ns/health-pregnancy/t/designer-babies-made-to-order-defects/

If parents use banks of sperms or eggs, they can choose if their baby will be a blue-eyed blond girl or a tall boy with an artistic talent. Sometimes they won’t achieve this goal, but they do much to get the desired result. Doesn’t it sound like from S-F novel?

With so much effort done in the planning conception, pressure of making children successful must be huge. In last months a book written by Amy Chua “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” got a bestseller worldwide. The author explains why in her opinion Chinese upbringing is better than in Western countries. She underlines that Asian kids concentrated on constant developing of their skills are better students and they achieve more spectacular successes. Chinese education is constant hard work with no waste of time for having fun.


Only a part of parents can afford many extra-curricular activities for their children, but they are an unsurpassed example for others. A super-intelligent child running from French classes to karate and yoga, with only “A” grades in school is a modern dream. I suppose you have already heard about “baby-aerobic” or “baby-English lessons”? That’s just for a start. Many middle-class parents think they don’t secure their children proper conditions to develop their talents if they don’t send them to these kind of activities. Everyone wants to have a super-child, there’s no place for mediocrity.

When kids grow up, their parents are still beside him or her. Carl Honoré in his book “Under Pressure: Rescuing Our Children from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting” describes the phenomenon of people who make their children dependent on them also in their adult life. Kids raised that way got used to the total control and care of their parents. They don’t know what the risk is, because their moms and dads never let them try it.

  1. What do you think about modern parenting? Has it been changed since you’ve been a child?
  2. If you had children, what would you want for them most: to be successful, to be happy, or to be a good man / woman)? Justify your answer.
  3. What were your feelings while you were watching North Korean children playing the guitars in one of the videos above?

14 comments:

  1. 1) I think that has changed a lot. Especially when it comes to parents where both, mother and father, make a career. In such situations they place their children in the best available nursery school, kindergarten, etc. The child thus practically since birth is brought up to a person who also has to make a career.

    Otherwise, however, in my opinion is the situation in smaller towns or rural areas. There rather little has changed when it comes to raising children. Probably children spend more time in front of a computer or television than in the past, but these changes are not so drastic.

    2) I would definitely want my child to be happy. In this case everything else would just fit.

    3) The video looked quite artificial, but playing guitar or any other instrument is really something very educational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's difficult to tell whether life nowadays is more dangerous than 20 years ago for children. I think in many ways yes, it is (as in your example with car accidents), but if you go back in time even further, to war times, I'm sure it was even more difficult to protect and bring up children. Everything depends on the situation, the culture, the place... It's really difficult to tell whether there is more dangers in year 2011 than there were in year 1991. Maybe we only see the dangers more clearly now?

    The thing about cell phones... it makes it easier for parents to control their children, to call them, to supervise them constantly; on one hand it makes them safer but on the other hand it's dangerous to have an expensive item you always have with you, which can be stolen, and the kid threatened or assaulted.

    I think it's immature and egoistic if a pair of dwarfs wants to have a dwarf kid; it's treating it like a toy. I think a kid that learns about its parents' decision later in life is going to hate its parents in the future. On the other hand, choosing for your child to be of typical height isn't much better either. Even if you have to rely on in vitro fertilization I think it would be better to leave it all to fate and love the child as it is, then to design it the way you want and get disappointed. You could think that if a pair of dwarf wants a dwarf child, why don't a pair of infertile people design an infertile child? It's unfair.

    Another thing that has really moved me is parents, who focus on their childrens' career too much from their earliest days. It leads to the child losing the passion to what it does, it only wants to meet their parents' expectations, which has a bad effect on their future lives; not to mention they don't know the taste of true, carefree childhood. Look at those Korean kids, they are like robots!

    If you had children, what would you want for them most: to be successful, to be happy, or to be a good person? Hmmmm. I think I would choose being successful, but it wouldn't be good to be unhappy at the same time. It would matter for me the most for them to be good people, because good people will find their way to happiness in even the smallest and simplest things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to teach kids and I saw they had less free time at the age of 12 than me at my 22. Swimming pool, tennis, english, spanish, dance, other stuff... and totally controlled leisure time.

    If they can't just play and have fun, what kind of childhood is it? Then you become Michael Jackson, deprived of childhood.

    Asian kids are in fact more efficient and so on. But they are robots, not humans. I wouldn't see sense in such life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was I child I had more freedom and a lot of time for myself. I didn't have to go for numerous of 'after-school' activities. I just chose what I liked at that time. My mum didn't force me to play on the piano or to play tennis. In my opinion parents should more carefully listen to their children and watch them to know better who they are and what they like the most.. what talents they have and which abilites they want to develop.
    If I have to compare how people raise their children now and how they did it ten years ago, I would say that today parents have less time for their kids, that's why they want their children to participated in the largest number of after school activities. Moreover I think it's not so safe on 'playground' as it was some years ago. So I can understand parents in this case.

    I don't think asian model of education is normal and good for very young and sesnsitive childs psychic. These korean childrens look like artificial product of adults. It's terrifying. And I think such a way of raising kids kills their individuality.

    The answer for second question is very easy I guess. I would definietely want my child to be happy but I also think that to be happy we need to be successful although in some way, in private and professional life, we need also to feel good with what we do. And in my opinion to be a good man does not interfere in a good mood as well.

    About Korean childs I wrote earlier. I can only add that I feel so sorry for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with s8939. I think that nowadays parents don't have (or don't want to have) enough time to bring up their children and that's why they send their kids for additional activities such as tennis, swimming pool, yoga, martial arts, language lesson, even if their babies are in nursery age... Parents care only about their own career, forgetting about how important is to spend more free time with their own children playing and talking about basic and silly things. Children need attention of adults but they also need some freedom and time to be board as well to become more creative.
    Answering your second question I will not be unique, I would like my daughter to be happy person, whatever it will mean for her :)
    Asian children from the movie that you attached in your presentation looked amazing. But in the other hand they seem to me a little bit scary, like a robots with glued artificial smiles on their faces...Brrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with presentation. More and more parents behave like helicopter. Nowadays carrier is the most important. They say it’s for children goods but in fact it’s comfortable for parents. People all the time are busy having too much thing with not enough time. Where is time for children? It is easier to send kid for additional courses than spend some time for them. Parents usually want for children something which they hasn’t achieved so later they can say how brilliant their son or daughter is. But at what cost? Childhood is what kid’s needs. I understand that everything is changing but parents want the best for children since ever. My childhood was easier and different than now. I had time for fun and next step was studying not opposite ;)
    When I will have children definitely being happy will be the most important. I am not saying that rest is not important. I believe balancing with being parents is a key for child success. After first period there will be time for hard work and extra courses.
    After watching I am confused. Perfect play and coordination. It was amazing. But they are children. Is it too early? In my opinion they have no time except practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that it hac changed a lot. Parents ambition destroy children childhood!
    If I had children now primarily I would like for him happiness- if child will have it then will have everything.
    They play very nice and I think that they probably do it from birth;) So I ask where childhood? where fun??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could be quite controversial. In my honest opinion it's all about sick competition. We hear today "oh, if somebody wants to be perfectionist he has to start when he is actually a child".
    When child is really small doesn't have any opinion about what he or she would prefer to do in the future, when their grow up.
    In every case parents have to decide about their hobby and time consumption. Even for their future.

    Mostly parents are trying to put their own failures and not fulfilled dreams on children, forcing them terribly. Many of them aren't able to decide if that's good or wrong. They don't have any comparison and threat that as a normality. It's good when children have something to do, additional activities, practicing sorts, learning new things. Everything was created for humans. Some of them forget about it. All things have to be taken with moderation. Just not to become crazy.

    It's hard to say what are my plans regarding my children and their childhood. I'm sure one thing, I would try to provide them safety and warm home without any concerns and fears.

    I feel really sad and pity about those Korean children. I would take their parents and forced them to play on bagpipes for hours with enormous audience - if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) I'm not into it so I can't tell you much, but to be honest it really depends on parents, there always were, are and will be good and bad parents.

    2) Successfull because imho you can't be happy when you are not successfull.

    3)I'm really sorry for them, they are brainwashed to be obedient robots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I think modern parentig has changed so much from my childchood, because in Poland it was different time (PRL, not so many money, bread line..) so in that time parents give these childrens many time. Now they don't have so much time , because some have so much work and come to home in late time, so they don't have so much time with children.. I really dislike it. And there is difficult time about hard hearing childrens. When I was small i've so much rehabilitations and so much speech-hearing work at home, so I've so much time with parents and it helped me so much. So now I've high respect for my parents. Now parents indulge their children and therefore most have problems with proper speech..

    2.If I had children then I want them be happy and safe on our world.

    3. Korean children playing guitars was great but give me small schock, because I know that parents in Asia (China, Korea and Japan) may high demands and they want the child was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that parenting today is 10,000 times more difficult than it was before.
    When I was a kid, my parents were and are my next big authority. Not occurred to me that such hand raise them, as is often now strives ... It is very sad and depressing that nowadays children do not feel at all respect the adults. They have more and more laws that supposedly protect them, but really cause them great harm ...

    Busy parents often leave children in the care of a nanny, not always well qualified for this or just throw them to friends or family. quest for money and continuous struggle for processing in today's society reduces to a minimum call Mother.

    Of course, do not generalize and I know that there are plenty of homes from which children grow up to be really valuable person to the rules. Unfortunately, a large group without stress prevails education which later results in a lack of respect for other people, violence or simply crashes nervous children.

    For counter weight, you can cite cases of children who meet the ambitions of their parents. School, training, lessons, at least two languages, and later still meeting with friends that parents can boast their children.

    Today's child has no time for it to stay with you and be bored, filled to the brim with images of parents who care about the future makes it take your children their childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Modern parenting. Yes, I think so. Raising children has changed since the days when I was a kid. But I think that in most, it's only change only in general concept and in literature, not necessarily in their homes, at private four their walls. But who knows, mayby.
    I don't like in modern parenting this that child has large extent of things to decide. Why? Our duty is to educate childrens.
    If the irresponsible kids (like our government) will make decisions, not really knowing other alternatives of actual action, because they know only one in young age, that action of which they think, then how they willbe mold? Certainly, not using parents experience. I think it isn't good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s funny that parent nowadays send children to some very expensive kindergartens and force them to learn for example 2 languages. Children are sort of isolated from a normal world and many different people they can meet.

    ReplyDelete