Wednesday 15 June 2011

American Football part 2

Hello everyone. As I promised you the previous time this part of my presentation will be, I hope, more interesting and will touch upon the topic of American football in Poland.

Right now probably most of you even do not realize that this sport is also practiced in Poland. That is great because this is the main reason for me to do the presentation on such a topic. What is more, football is probably the most developing sport in our country. In 2004 Polish American Football Association (Polski Związek Futbolu Amerykańskiego) was founded.

http://www.pzfa.pl/

It has been probably the most important event for American football in Poland so far. They prepare special courses for future judges and keep everything in the right order to improve and advertise football.

We have 2 leagues. First one has 10 teams and second one 12 divided into two groups Northern and Southern. As you can easily see we have 22 registered teams and more and more are appearing every month! Even in Warsaw there are 3 teams:

http://www.pzfa.pl/

Eagles were established in 1999 and they are the oldest American football team in Poland with rooster reaching almost 50 players. On the other side we have the youngest team in Poland - Warewolves. They officially were founded in 2010.

The best teams have their own professional trainers with special tasks, divided to train special formations, like defensive coordinator, O-Line coach or Line Coach. They are often brought from the United States or other countries. Last Saturday the Eagles were playing in Warsaw against The Crew Wrocław. Right now they are probably the most powerful teams in Poland.

Nowadays most of players play as volunteers. But sill there are some with special contracts. Some players have been bought from other teams from Poland or even brought specially from the United States. As I mentioned at the begging of my presentation this sport is just developing. Imagine what will happen in next 10 years’ time if such a fast growth will continue.

I encourage all of you to try and go to see a match only as a curiosity. Maybe some of you will get interested in it and will try his strength against others. I hope it will happen. If so here you can look for a team in your neighborhood :

http://www.pzfa.pl/?go=druzyny

Try, maybe they are looking just for you!

Questions:

  1. Did you realize that American football exists in Poland?
  2. Is any team in your neighborhood? If so, did you know anything about it?
  3. Did this part of presentation convince you to go and see on your own the next football match?

14 comments:

  1. Yes, I heard that in Poland are football clubs. But do not expect that in Warsaw there are three. It seems to me that never in Poland will not be a popular sport like baseball. It is worth noting that most teams is new, was about two or three years ago. But I personally have not heard anything about any. If there is only opportunity I will go gladly to the game. Often in American films you can see how many people are fascinated with this sport. Maybe this is a good alternative to football in which not achieve success?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I have created an online store which was selling all stuff related to American football so I was aware of this. It is one of the biggest online shops in Poland, but I think it is still a niche discipline.

    2) I'm not interested in sports so I didn't know about the amount of clubs located in Warsaw, but if someone would asked me before I'd probably answer that at least one has to be there.

    3) If I watch sports it's only on TV. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from Szczecin, I heard of a team playing American football in my area. I would gladly go to an American football match just to see what it's like, but if I were to see it I think I would prefer to see it in America.

    I really like the logos of the Varsovian teams, they are stylistically very American and I think that's great! One thing that makes me wonder is why do they buy professional native American football players to play in Polish teams. If your passion is American football, why would you come to Poland to play it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't aware of american football teams existed in Poland. I thought that rugby teams are a niche :-)

    In my opinion most sports are better to watch in tv - many cameras at various angles enable you to see more and from a smaller distance. Ofcourse you loose out on the stadium atmosphere but gain better experience in overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard about it. But it was like small info. After reading your presentation I was surprised and I went to this website. It` s interesting. I didn’t know that in Warsaw there are 3 teams and so many players. All in all its brutal sport but my curiosity won. In close future I will go to see on my own the game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that American football teams exist in Poland ;) It doesn't surprise me at all though, there probably is lots of people who enjoy watching American football. After all we Poles love everything that Americans do ;)

    I only know a couple of rugby teams in Poland and like I said earlier I have literally no knowledge on American rugby in Poland so can;t answer you second question more specifically..

    After watching some of the footages from matches and reading your both articles I'm still uninterested in American football. Sorry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I've heard about Polish Football league.
    Now I live in Warsaw and I know that here is at least one team but I don't know anything about them. As I wrote at first presentation about this sport I'm not interesting in it.
    Probably no. I would go for this match only for social purposes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I did! That question was easy. My friend plays in a team. It is called Warsaw Eagles or something. Certainly it is a contact sport and appearance of my colleague after training is proof of this haha. He is not able to move normally :) But even your presentation, liters of blood and sweat don’t persuade me to go to watch the game. Sorry ;(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I have heard about Polish football team exist. But I have never read about it. Becouse in polish dailies we can not find any information, about it. In fact, thanks to this presentation I learned something specific in this topic.

    Who knows, maybe I'll go for some match. But not today and not tomorrow. I'm only glad that I found out about it, football has always interested me, but existed only in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @s4504 " (...)But even your presentation, liters of blood and sweat don’t persuade me to go to watch the game. Sorry ;(" - it's brilliant ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see that some of you still confuse rugby with american football. Thats bad !! ;). For those of you I recommend to read first part of my presentation.

    @s6476 - maybe they feel some kind of "mission" to expand a knowledge of football in other countries ;). Or there is a second option. They are too bad to play in professional NFL teams. And Poland is a great country to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope.
    I didn't. Until now.

    "Polski związek Footballu Amerykańskiego" it sounds crappy to me. The same like in that Chips commercial - traditional polish receipt, polish chips.
    You gave me an opportunity to said it earlier, I'm not a sports fan really. I couldn't distinguish all those rules even in normal football. I have no idea if other teams exist in my neighborhood, maybe yes maybe no.
    I've been still waiting for that baseball presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you realize that American football exists in Poland?

    I thought that it possible. I really enjoy the teams logos. They are nice. I could be fan just to have t-shirt with those logos.

    Is any team in your neighborhood? If so, did you know anything about it?

    I hope not. But looking at some of my neighbors and their problems with anger I would recommend them the American football. So Poland actually could benefit from this sport.

    Did this part of presentation convince you to go and see on your own the next football match?

    Unfortunately not. But let be honest. Your presentation isn't the most charismatic or appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you realize That American football exists in Poland?

    American football in America is not only the sport, something like "religion". In Poland, yes exists, but just as a regular bizarre sport ..

    Did this part of presentation convince you to go and see on your own the next football match?

    Maybe someday ... And now is the "SESJA" no time for match and cold beer:):)

    ReplyDelete