Monday 13 June 2011

In Vitro

“In vitro” is a short term used in a casual language for in vitro fertilization. From the scientific point of view in vitro are studies conducted using components of an organism that have been isolated from their usual biological context in order to permit a more detailed or more convenient analysis than can be done with whole organisms. This definition comes from Wikipedia, but I think it shows the point. In my presentation I’m going to write about in vitro fertilization but I will use a colloquial short.

Here you can see an interesting interview with an infertility expert presenting many important facts about fertility and in vitro fertilization. It’s a bit long but worth viewing:




The lady from the interview says that she’s helping to cure infertility with in vitro procedures. Many people use this expression and I must admit I find it a publicity stunt. After that kind of treatment couples don’t get fertile. Even if they finally have their desirable baby, they can’t get pregnant again without another artificial fertilization, so they are not cured in any way. For me curing infertility means making people healthy enough to have children in a natural way.

In media we can read or listen to some moving stories of couples trying to have baby without any results. Maybe you know some people with this problem because it’s getting more and more popular. I believe they must very often go through a real drama. There is a giant pressure they must stand up to as well as the problem of their self-esteem. Things are not changed much since the ancient times – unfertile people aren’t comfortable with their sex, usually they feel incomplete. Especially women get depressed when they can’t get pregnant.

IVC seems to be a great solution for couples who can’t cure their infertility.



Unfortunately, it has some disadvantages too. One of them is a problem of unused embryos, which is a huge moral dilemma for many, not necessary connected with religion. Perhaps you’ve heard about Nadya Suleman who decided to have all her embryos created as a result of in vitro. Here you can read about this interesting case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadya_Suleman

Another matter is relatively high cost and low efficiency. In Poland cost of a whole IVC program for one patient varies from 5 to 12 thousands PLN. It can grow if we multiply these costs by several attempts. Canadian clinics reports an average pregnancy rate in 2006 at 35%. A French study estimated that 66% of patients starting IVF treatment finally succeed in having a child (40% during the IVF treatment at the center and 26% after IVF discontinuation). Polish sources show about 40% efficiency. In fact, there are no objective statistics as they are proposed by the clinics offering IVC treatment, so we may suspect that this data may be overestimated.

Nowadays people postpone their parenthood, so in vitro has become a great business. That’s why it may be hard to find a reliable source of information about negative effects of these procedures. If you want to find articles glorifying IVC you can simply visit one of the “fertility clinics” providing this treatment. After some research I’ve found a scientific text showing IVC in a more objective way. I recommend reading it:

http://www.biotechnologia.pl/biotechnologia-portal/info/biotechnologia/30_bioetyka/229101,spoeczne_skutki_in_vitro.html

Moreover, in vitro is connected with multiple births, which are always at bigger risk and more frequent birth defects. Different sources show different data, but definitely “test-tube children” and their mothers are more endangered than those born in natural conditions.

Information above is especially important if we think about financing IVC by the state budget. As our Health Ministry claims, we have enough money to support IVC from public money. I truly sympathize with the infertile couples, but knowing the problems of NFZ functioning I really doubt we can afford it.

1. What effects can be caused by financing IVC by the Polish budget?

2. Have you ever heard about naprotechnology? If not, check: http://www.naproplus.pl/naprotechnology and http://www.proinvitro.pl/co-to-jest-naprotechnologia and make your own opinion about it.

3. Why do people prefer in vitro than adoption?

4. Would you decide for IVC if you have problems with fertility?

5. Have you heard about egg donors chosen because of their IQ or hair color? Do you think that “designing” a child is ethical? https://www.eggdonor.com/

13 comments:

  1. 1. Polish budget is on the edge, I think the next few million will not change situation:)

    2. "The paradox of stunning statistics naprotechnology lies in the fact that the value of 97% refers to the accuracy of diagnosis, which does not translate into 97% of pregnancies or contraception obtained by this method." and "Do naprotechnology is an opportunity for the biological offspring of infertile couples for each ? - No. "
    - I have nothing more to add, this method can not be compared to in vitro, is not the same.

    3. I do not know, maybe because they prefer to have a baby. This can give you the feeling that the child is in some sense their own.

    4. At the beginning I think I would try more with natural methods :):):)

    5. I think that it is does not ethical, everyone should be able to decide for himself about himself and about his appearance. The same improvement of the child will not do anything. Very much depends on the upbringing and care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certain that a country shouldn't refund in vitro fertlization when it can't finance healthcare for it's living and ill people, especially when you keep in mind how expensive it is and that it doesn't always work.

    Why do people prefer in vitro fertilization over adoption? To answer this question you have to think about the difference between the words children and offspring.

    When it comes to the third point, I think that question is far too personal, I think one needs to find themselves in such a situation to answer it objectively.

    The last question - I don't think it's ethical, I think it's rather complicated and a bit unfair towards natural people. It would be similar to genetically modified strawberries or tomatoes. I believe that when people start to push the boundaries it could lead to even bigger dilemmas in the future. For example, if in vitro fertilization makes it able to design yourself a perfect, healthy child, people - even fertile - will pay big money to use it. If  someone is wealthy enough, they could afford genetic perfectionism, related to social class or prestige, the human race will start dividing into perfect above-humans and sub-humans. During a different presentation I showed a trailer to a movie called Gattaca - it will again be a perfect example of such a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that currently we have in Poland to much financial problems with a medical service and we cannot afford on such an expensive in vitro, especially that it is not a matter of life and death.

    Why do people prefer in vitro fertilization over adoption?

    Well I think that it is quite clear that people want to have their own baby, part of a loving man and woman. It is a simply human need.


    Would I decide for IVC if I have problems with fertility?

    I don't know. I can't imagine what I would do in that situation. As a Catholic I say NO but as a woman...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. If our government can afford it - why not? So many couple in Poland can not have a baby in natural way and do not have enough money to cover the costs of IVC treatment.
    2. I have never heard about naprotechnology... It seems to be an alternative for people against procreation by in vitro. But seriously, for me it is kind of marketing of regular treatment but collected by some artful doctor in one "method"...
    3. Why people prefer IVC than adoption? Perhaps, because they would prefer to have their own babies with their own genes... Adoption is the solution for couples that don't want to bother them selfs in difficulties of being pregnant and taking care of infant... From my own experience I can admit that it is a really hard time;) but I do not regret it, and would never change it to anything else!
    4. If me or my wife have problems with fertility, I would try all methods, finally including in vitro if needed.
    5. I have no opinion on this question maybe because it never involved my self...

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion this shouldn't be prohibit. Every woman has right to have their own small children. If her partner couldn't help her in this, then let them the possibility of using additional methods. Many women commented that their children develop properly and they are like each other, so there is nothing to prevent.
    But the church does not like it.
    This is a very serious topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously I do not have any idea what effects could cause such funding...simply I cannot imagine that Poland would take a part in that. Firstly because here (in Poland) everything is strongly connected with the church/clergy. Every decision that is going to be made has to be fully approved by the strongest group that the world has ever seen. Unfortunately it's also depends on polish mentality. We're quite fearful nation leaving behind religious way of thinking. We cannot accept anything interfering directly with our humanity, reproduction, life.
    Secondly, we are too poor for that. Our budget cannot handle typical things, related with our country infrastructure.

    I've heard about naprotechnology before. It's strongly connected with IVC. I'm really 'pro' natural procreation...but as a one of the option. There should be always a possibility of making choice. If we have a problem with fertilization, we can firstly try NaPro then search for other solutions.
    So after few years if we decided to have a baby we would have to take to bad with us:
    - gynecologist (who will watch if intercourse is properly implemented),
    - internist (who will take care about proper body temperature),
    - neurologist (responsible for a good mood and stress-free environment),
    - midwife (showing the most effective position),
    - priest (who will guard if we aren't using external boosters).

    Now I know why enormous bads are really famous among young couples :-) they predict the future.

    People would prefer IVC then adoption from the simple reason. In IVC woman become pregnant, caring their own child until final birth - no differences between traditional way. In adoption we are receiving "finished product". Child witch was born by strange women. And never know what they could be. If my financial situation allowed me, I would definitely try to create a perfect home for adopted child.

    I'm actually pro IVC so I would definitely try if I had to. I can imagine seriousness of that decision. But why we cannot give any chance for those who aren't allowed to have their own kids.

    Firstly we have to decide what is the correct ethical meaning hear. If we assume IVC and eggs donors as an ethical so why we couldn't choose the perfect one? The same as consumer laws.

    I've heard also about 'surrogate', it's a kind of temporary mother. According to above I belief that choosing a donor is more ethical then surrogate mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What effects hmm… Cartainly more people have chosen IVC - now it's quite expensive procedure and not everyone can afford for it.
    Yes I've heard about naprotechnology and for me it's a crazy idea which nothing good leads.
    I think that they want to have their 'own' children - with genetic ties and feel the need to take over the whole process of 'motherhood'. Maybe they are afraid that theywill not be able to love the adoptive children as their own.
    OF course that I would be decided.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that for families who can’t have children and don’t have money for such surgery budget problems are irrelevant and I get the point.

    Why do people prefer in vitro than adoption? Everybody knows. Everyone wants to have THEIR children.
    Would I decide for IVC if I have problems with fertility? I suppose so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. What effects can be caused by financing IVC by the Polish budget?

    For me it makes no difference because our country (like probably most of the countries in the world) is in debt. BUT probably if you don't have the 10k PLN for the treatment, you probably shouldn't have any children because they cost much more. ;) And we (probably) don't need more people on the relief.

    2. Have you ever heard about naprotechnology? If not, check: http://www.naproplus.pl/naprotechnology and http://www.proinvitro.pl/co-to-jest-naprotechnologia and make your own opinion about it.

    As it is stated in the text(s) this method is slow and only ~40% of couples could benefit from this. So this isn't any real alternative to IVC.

    3. Why do people prefer in vitro than adoption?

    Because most of the people would like to have their biological material passed to the next generations. It's the matter of some apparent immortality.

    4. Would you decide for IVC if you have problems with fertility?

    Yes. Sorry but I don't think that "unused embryos" are not ethical, immoral or something. Think about the amount of sperms and egg cells that get wasted during procreation or lack of it (egg cells).

    5. Have you heard about egg donors chosen because of their IQ or hair color? Do you think that “designing” a child is ethical?

    I've seen it in may American movies :) and I've meet some almost-geniuses with really simple parents. So it's all just a lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. What effects can be caused by financing IVC by the Polish budget?
    I'm minarchist so I'm againts public financing of non-essential services like IVC, everything has a price and if people want IVC then they should pay for it.

    2. Have you ever heard about naprotechnology? If not, check: http://www.naproplus.pl/naprotechnology and http://www.proinvitro.pl/co-to-jest-naprotechnologia and make your own opinion about it.

    It doesn't matter for me as long as people does not want public funds, it's ok.

    3. Why do people prefer in vitro than adoption?

    Becouse they prefer their own child then someone else.

    4. Would you decide for IVC if you have problems with fertility?

    Yes

    5. Have you heard about egg donors chosen because of their IQ or hair color? Do you think that “designing” a child is ethical? https://www.eggdonor.com/

    It's fine for me in general.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think there is nothing wrong with people who have problems with having children and decide to go for in vitro fertilisation. If it’s in accordance with your religion and believes there’s nothing wrong with it. It would be wrong decision if government would make it illegal to use in vitro. It’s everyone’s personal decision.
    Should we finance it? I don’t think so.. we have more important things to care about right now. Maybe in the future.
    I never heard of naprotechnology as I’m not interested in the topic.
    There’s nothing wrong with adoption, but I would not decide to do it. You don’t know much about child’s parents. They could be for example addicted to drugs. Adopted children can have similar problems as they get older.
    Designing a child is of course NOT ETHICAL at all…

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. I am afraid that refunding IVC would make less people adopt homeless children, because they would prefer to have their own children.
    2. As for me it is completely different subject than IVC.
    3. Such child would be more theirs than addopted one and what is more people prefer to get very young children rather than older ones.
    4. To be honest I do not know. Two weeks ago I found out that I had too much fertility ;)
    5. It is understable that people prefer eggs from known sources without any phisical and mental disorders or addictions.

    ReplyDelete